UMW is ranked in every major selective guide publication.
The following is a sample of what these guides have to say about UMW:
- For eleventh year, the Peace Corps has named the University of Mary Washington to its annual list of “Top Producing Colleges and Universities.” Among small colleges and universities with fewer than 5,000 undergraduates, UMW ranks No. 20. The university currently has nine alumni serving in the Peace Corps.
- Fiske Guide to Colleges 2014 designated UMW as a “Best Buy School,” making it the only college in Virginia and the District of Columbia reaching this distinction.
- For the seventh consecutive year, Forbes recognized the University of Mary Washington as one of the nation’s top universities. In its 2014 list of “America’s Best Colleges,” UMW is ranked 255th of the 650 undergraduate institutions that Forbes considers the nation’s best.
- The University of Mary Washington was ranked among the nation’s top “green colleges” in The Princeton Review’s “Guide to 353 Green Colleges” for 2015. The university was also listed as a Best Southeastern College and one of The Princeton Review’s Best 379 Colleges in the publication’s 2015 edition of “Colleges That Pay You Back: The 200 Best Value Colleges and What It Takes to Get In.”
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine named the university in its “100 Best Values in Public Colleges” for 2015. The university ranks sixth among Virginia’s best values.
- Money Magazine listed the University of Mary Washington 18th on its 2015 list of the nation’s top 25 public colleges with the best record of graduating students on time.
- U.S. News & World Report has ranked the university fifth among public southern universities in the “Top Public Regional Universities – South” category in its 2015 edition of America’s Best Colleges. The university ranks 13th among all southern universities in the same category.
- The Social Mobility Index ranked the university third in the state and 140th nationally as a school providing pathways for social and economic mobility in 2015.