UMW is ranked in every major selective guide publication.
The following is a sample of what these guides have to say about UMW:
- The Peace Corps has named the University of Mary Washington to its annual list of “Top Producing Colleges and Universities.” Among small colleges and universities with fewer than 5,000 undergraduates, UMW ranks No. 10. The university currently has 13 alumni serving in the Peace Corps.
- Fiske Guide to Colleges 2014 designated UMW as a “Best Buy School,” making it the only college in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia reaching this distinction.
- For the sixth consecutive year, Forbes recognized the University of Mary Washington as one of the nation’s top universities. In its 2013 list of “America’s Best Colleges,” UMW is ranked 229th of the 650 undergraduate institutions that Forbes considers the nation’s best.
- The University of Mary Washington was named to the Princeton Review’s 150 “Best Value Colleges: 2012 Edition” and “The Best 378 Colleges” of 2014.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine named the university in its “100 Best Values in Public Colleges” for 2013. The university ranks fifth among Virginia’s best values and 53rd out of 100 four-year public institutions nationwide when comparing tuition costs.
- U.S. News & World Report has ranked the university fifth among public southern universities in the “Top Public Regional Universities – South” category in its 2014 edition of America’s Best Colleges. The university ranks 13th among all southern universities in the same category.
- About.com rates UMW in its list of “Top (10) Public Liberal Arts Colleges” that place an emphasis on quality teaching and undergraduate education.