Update: We are continuing to closely monitor Hurricane Sandy. The safety of our students and employees remains paramount. We continue to prepare and plan and will advise the UMW community as conditions evolve. Please check your email and the UMW website for more information. At this point, there are no closures or cancellations of University activities. Decisions about classes and activities will be made as the storm progresses.
(Oct. 26, 2012) The UMW Emergency Operations Team has met to conduct an assessment of available storm data and to begin preparations for any potential weather event we may encounter. For more information on Emergency Procedures at the University, please refer to http://www.umw.edu/safety/emergency/default.php.
All individuals can benefit from preparing for the storm. Please review the following information and plan accordingly:
- Think about a light source if power goes out. If you have a flashlight, check the batteries. DO NOT USE CANDLES in university buildings. Residential building staff will have flashlights and all buildings are equipped with emergency lighting, however, it will be helpful if you have a light source that isn’t your cell phone.
- Do you have medication that requires refrigeration? If so, borrow/buy a cooler or insulated bag and have some ice in the nearest refrigerator to add if power is lost.
- Fully charge cell phones, laptops, handheld games, iPods, etc. prior to the storm.
- It is possible that cell service will go down during the storm. Please make contact with your family and friends prior to the storm, let them know you are okay and what you are doing to stay safe. Let them know that it is possible that you’ll lose cell service.
- Pick up some snacks that do not need heating or electricity to prepare. There is always a chance that we will experience intermittent power outages during the storm. Bottled water is also a good idea.
- Do you have board games? Cards? A book light? The residence hall staff will also be conducting activities to keep people occupied in the event of a power outage. Check with your RA for more information should a power outage occur.
- If you are an off-campus student who needs on-campus shelter, please contact the Residence Life and Commuter Student Services Office at 540-654-1058 during business hours or University Police at (540) 654-1025 during all other times.
UMW Weather information is available at www.umwva.alerteagle.com. University closing and delay information can be found on the UMW website at umw.edu or by calling the Information Hotline at (540) 654-2424.