Deteriorating conditions make it necessary for the University of Mary Washington to cancel all classes and events, and close administrative offices on Tuesday, October 30, 2012. This closing applies to all UMW campuses (Fredericksburg, Stafford and Dahlgren).
The university is monitoring the path and potential impact of Hurricane Sandy. Current forecasts place the storm in the vicinity of the Washington D.C. metropolitan area through tomorrow. There is the potential for localized flooding from heavy rainfall, wind damage, and power outages.
University Police can be reached by dialing 4444 in an emergency from any university phone or (540) 654-1025 (non-emergency) by cell phone.
Please monitor the University’s website at umw.edu or call the Information Hotline at (540) 654-2424 for further announcements.
For residential students:
The University’s Emergency Operations Team (EOT) is engaged in actively monitoring the storm’s progress. We urge all students to remain inside as hazardous conditions will continue to develop during the course of Monday evening.
- Seacobeck Dining Hall is scheduled to re-open at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, October 30. You will be notified by email or by your residence hall staff if that changes.
- Keep your electronic devices charged in the event of a power failure. Power outages are being reported across the region and it is still a possibility for our area.
- If you have questions, please contact your residence hall staff.
We urge all members of the UMW community to consider the following ways to prepare for the potential impact of this storm:
* Monitor weather and news channels (television or radio) for up to date information.
* Consider keeping non-perishable food, water, a flashlight, and medications on hand in the event of a power outage or regional flooding that prevents travel.
* Allow additional travel time to and from campus and plan activities accordingly.
* Have a contact plan with family and friends in advance, for communication and follow-up.
For more information on Emergency Procedures at the University, please refer to http://www.umw.edu/safety/emergency/default.php. UMW Weather information is available at umwva.alerteagle.com<http://www.umwva.alerteagle.com>.