Associate Professor/Associate Dean
Dr. Courtney Clayton is an Associate Professor in the College of Education at the University of Mary Washington. Her doctorate is in Curriculum and Instruction from Boston College with an emphasis on second language and literacy development. She also has a Masters degree in Education from the University of San Francisco where she earned a teaching credential with a CLAD (cross cultural language and academic development) endorsement. She has a Bachelor of Arts in French Literature from the University of Pennsylvania. Before coming to UMW, she was Chair of the Language and Literacy department at the International School of Boston. She has also been a classroom teacher and an ESL specialist and has taught students from Kindergarten through adults. Her research interests and publications include teacher preparation for English Language Learners, action research in teacher education, and the influence of culturally relevant pedagogy on teaching and learning.
Courtney Clayton in the News
- Davis, Clayton and Broome Publish ArticleJanine Davis, Courtney Clayton and John Broome's article titled "Thinking like researchers: Action research and its impact on novice teachers' thinking" was recently published in Educational Action Research. Full article can be found at http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/dxsxQffQmWmfXxZhFXti/full [...]... Read more »
- McCall, Hydorn and Clayton Receive GrantDr. Venitta McCall, professor of the College of Education, Dr. Debra Hydorn, professor of mathematics and Dr. Courtney Clayton, assistant professor of the College of Education have received a $35,600 grant from the Virginia Department of Education. The purpose of the grant is to train 30 teachers from critical teacher... Read more »
- Clayton to Serve as an Invited ReviewerCourtney Clayton, Assistant Professor in the College of Education, will serve as an invited reviewer for a special issue of the Educational Action Research journal to be published early next year. Educational Action Research is concerned with exploring the dialogue between research and practice in educational settings. http://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?show=aimsScope&journalCode=reac20#.VFvwF4fn07A [...]... Read more »
- COE Faculty Present at AERA ConferenceJanine Davis, Courtney Clayton, and John Broome, all assistant professors in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, presented their research at the annual conference of the American Educational Research Association on “The Power of Educational Research for Innovation in Practice and Policy” in Philadelphia on April 6, 2014. Their study... Read more »
- Clayton Publishes Handbook ChapterCourtney Clayton, Assistant Professor of Education, has published a chapter in the SAGE Research Methods Cases handbook. Her chapter focuses on how to use Constructivist Grounded Theory in Qualitative Research. SAGE Research Methods Cases is a collection of case studies of real social research, specially commissioned and designed to help... Read more »