James Gaines in the News
Read more about James Gaines.
- Gaines Speaks at Shakespeare TheatreProfessor Emeritus of Foreign Languages and Literatures Jim Gaines took part in a panel at the Shakespeare Theatre in Washington, D.C. on June 11. The panel was part of a program organized by the Shakespeare Theatre Company's ASIDES enrichment series in coordination with its production of Moliere's Tartuffe. Gaines spoke... Read more »
- Gaines’s French Article Appears in International JournalAn article by Professor Emeritus of French Jim Gaines has been published in the international journal Papers in French Seventeenth Century Literature, vol. 42, no. 82. The article ,"Les FauxMoscovites : ouverture intellectuelle ou quasi-turquerie?" deals with one of the first French comedies to portray Russians and its implications for European diplomatic thought.... Read more »
- Gaines Reads Poetry at Bridgewater International ConferenceEmeritus Professor of French Jim Gaines recently read selections from his poetry at the 2nd Biennial Bridgewater International Poetry Conference hosted by Bridgewater College on Jan. 15-18, 2015. Approximately 60 poets from a variety of countries met for the gathering in the Shenandoah Valley, which had Skype links to poets... Read more »
- Gaines Translation “Locusts!” Published in Eerie DigestThe most recent translation by Jim Gaines (Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures) has been published in the April edition of the online journal Eerie Digest. The short story "Locusts!" takes place in colonial Algeria in the late 19th century and concerns the descent of a plague of locusts on a... Read more »
- Gaines Publishes Translation of “Moving In”Professor Jim Gaines of the Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures has published a translation of Alphonse Daudet's tale "Moving In" in the December 2013 issue of Eerie Digest/TAEM, an online journal originating in Washington with a large worldwide readership. The story, one of a series translated by Gaines... Read more »