Vice President for Student Affairs
Dr. Landphair holds a master’s degree and doctorate in history from the University of Virginia and a bachelor’s degree in history and French from Tulane University. Before coming to UMW, she most recently served as Dean of the Westhampton College at the University of Richmond.
A recipient of the Influential Woman of Virginia Award presented by Virginia Lawyers Media, Landphair also received the Bob E. Leach Award for Outstanding Service to Students presented by the NASPA Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education. A frequent presenter at academic conferences, she has written numerous articles for academic journals and newspaper opinion pieces. She is a book reviewer for the Journal of American History, a peer reviewer of The Journal of Southern History and panel proposal reviewer for the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.
Juliette Landphair in the News
- UMW Presents on Anonymous Social Media at NASPAHow do today’s students use social media? What happens when tweets and yaks take a bad turn? And most important, how can today’s administrators use social media to build a positive online community? These trending questions posed by higher education professionals across the country were front and center during the University... Read more »
- Rucker, Dean of Student Life, Honored by ColleaguesDean Cedric Rucker has been chosen as the recipient of the NASPA Region III Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Award. This award, given by a national student affairs professional organization, “honors a senior student affairs professional or faculty member who has demonstrated a deep commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion throughout... Read more »
- Landphair Publishes ArticleJuliette Landphair’s article, “Bringing Life to Learning: Civic Engagement, Intersections, and Transforming College Students,” co-authored with Amy Howard and Amanda Lineberry, was published in Intersectionality in Action: A Guide for Faculty and Campus Leaders for Creating Inclusive Classrooms and Institutions (Stylus: 2016), Brooke Barnett and Peter Felten, eds. [...] The post Landphair Publishes Article appeared first... Read more »
- Landphair Presents at AAC&UOn January 21, Juliette Landphair, Vice President for Student Affairs, led a discussion session alongside colleagues in Academic Affairs from Elon University, Wake Forest University, and Kalamazoo College at the American Association of Colleges & Universities on the topic of “Intersectionality in Action: Inclusive Excellence on Campus.” Landphair presented applied... Read more »
- UMW Names Vice President for Student AffairsJuliette Landphair, dean of Westhampton College and associate dean in the School of Arts and Sciences for the University of Richmond, has been named vice president for student affairs at the University of Mary Washington. Landphair will be responsible for the planning and direction of all of UMW’s student engagement... Read more »