Director of Digital Knowledge Center
Martha Burtis in the News
Read more about Martha Burtis.
- Davis Publishes Book and ArticleJanine S. Davis, assistant professor in the College of Education, has published a text titled Building a Professional Teaching Identity on Social Media: A Digital Constellation of Selves. The text was initiated during her work on the Digital Scholars Institute in 2014-15 and was completed during her Jepson fellowship year in 2015-16. The text features... Read more »
- Digital Knowledge Center is OpenUMW's new Digital Knowledge Center is now open for business. The Center provides peer tutoring for students on digital projects and assignments. Students can schedule a tutorial in topics ranging from WordPress to Domain of One's Own to media editing. Tutorials are scheduled in hourly blocks and typically last for... Read more »
- Smith Presents at International Preservation ConferenceAndréa Livi Smith, associate professor of historic preservation, presented at the Association of Preservation Technology International’s annual conference in Québec City on Oct. 29. She discussed the use of technology for cultural resource data collection in preservation. Her peer reviewed talk, translated live into French and Spanish, highlighted the survey... Read more »
- Martha Burtis and Jim Groom Present at SymposiumOn Feb. 21 Martha Burtis and Jim Groom were invited to present about the open, online Digital Storytelling course ds106 at the OpenVCU Symposium. The presentation, "Open is as Open Does," lays bare the various levels an open course like ds106 operates through. This talk breaks down teaching openly online into three parts:... Read more »
- ds106 Showcased as Model of Online, Participatory LearningHoward Rheingold has written a case study using ds106 (UMW's open, online version of the Computer Science Digital Storytelling course) as a model of participatory learning. The case study was published by the Connected Learning site, which is the community arm of the Digital Media Lab and Learning Research Hub at the... Read more »