Porter R. Blakemore, Associate Professor of History, earned a Ph.D. (1978) in history from the University of Georgia and an M.A. (1974) in history from James Madison University, after having received a B.A. (1968) in political science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. A former naval aviator, Dr. Blakemore is a knowledgeable source in the areas of military history, modern European diplomatic history, modern German history and Europe since 1945. He also teaches seminars on Nazi Germany and World War I.
Porter Blakemore in the News
- University Philharmonic Fall ProgramThe fall program for the University Philharmonic Orchestra will be exciting. The Orchestra will perform its Masterworks concert featuring Beethoven's Eroica Symphony on Oct. 22. Then on Dec. 9 it will present Christmas with Tony Bennett. Tickets for the Masterworks concert are on sale now. Tickets for the Christmas with Tony... Read more »
- Joshua Bell Comes to Mary WashingtonRenowned violinist Joshua Bell will be appearing with the University of Mary Washington Philharmonic Orchestra at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 26, 2016, in Dodd Auditorium. Accompanied by the orchestra, he will perform the Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor. Tickets are available at umwphilharmonic.com or by phone... Read more »
- UMW to Host Historic ConcertLegendary Three Tenors Singer Performs with Philharmonic The UMW Philharmonic and Music Director Dr. Kevin Bartram announced that legendary tenor José Carreras has agreed to perform a rare concert with the orchestra on Saturday, October 17 in the William M. Anderson Center. José Carreras is best-known for his record-breaking appearances with Luciano... Read more »
- UMW to Host Jewish Cultural Awareness EventsThe University of Mary Washington will host two events as part of the Jewish Cultural Awareness Celebration, sponsored by the James Farmer Multicultural Center. Both events are free and open to the public. The Kristallnacht Commemoration will take place on Monday, Nov. 10 at 6 p.m. On this day 76 years... Read more »
- UMW to Host Jewish Cultural Awareness EventsThe University of Mary Washington will host several events as part of the Jewish Cultural Awareness Celebration, sponsored by the James Farmer Multicultural Center. Two highlight events are free and open to the public. The Kristallnacht Commemoration will take place on Monday, Nov. 10 at 6 p.m. On this day... Read more »