Serious about Art

When Katie Rosinski ’12 works on an idea for  a piece of art, she opens her sketchbook and writes words, lists and word associations – what she calls “mind maps.”

Senior Katie Rosinski won the 2012 Melchers Gray Purchase Award for her work, "Housed"

“Concept is very important to me, so I consider layers of content and what the materials and scale of the piece are saying,” she said.

Her detailed artistic process has paid off – Rosinski is a two-time winner of the prestigious Melchers Gray Purchase Award, given annually by the UMW art department.

Her most recent award is for her 3-D mixed media piece, “Housed,” that will become a part of the university’s permanent collection.

“To have my pieces now part of the permanent collection is extraordinary and very fitting,” she said. “UMW is so important to me and so I couldn’t be happier that my pieces are now living here.”

Rosinski’s success at Mary Washington comes as no surprise to Carole Garmon, chair of the Department of Art and Art History.

“From the moment Katie stepped into the halls of Melchers, she let everyone know she was serious about art, even when she hadn’t realized it for herself,” Garmon said. “Every faculty member speaks of Katie’s desire to learn and her determination to make the best art possible.”

Rosinski flourished in the close-knit environment of the art department, exploring various forms of media, talking with artists from around the world and founding the Student Art Association.

This summer, she is an intern at the Smithsonian Institution’s Office of Exhibits Central model shop.

“She is truly the epitome of a liberal arts success story,” Garmon said.

About Brynn Boyer

Brynn Boyer is assistant director of media and public relations and a 2010 graduate of UMW.

Speak Your Mind

*