Criminal or suspicious acts and emergencies should be reported to the University Police immediately in person, by telephone, or by using one of the blue light emergency call boxes strategically located around campus.
The University of Mary Washington Police Department maintains two telephone numbers:
- Police, Fire and Rescue Emergency calls on campus: From any campus phone dial 4444 or 777. From any non-campus phone, including cell phones, dial 540-654-4444. The 4444 or 777 system is similar to 911 in other jurisdictions. If you are unable to speak, stay on the line; The Emergency Communication Operator will be able to ascertain your locations. Otherwise, follow the Emergency Communication Operator’s instructions. When dialing 911 from a University campus phone. 911 is answered by the Fredericksburg 911 Call Center, and transferring calls back to the University Police would delay an emergency response.
- Police Non-Emergency: dial 654-1025 (only the last four digits needs to be dialed from an on campus phone).
How to report an emergency on campus (police, fire or rescue):
- Dial 4444 or 777 from any on campus telephone.
- From any non-campus phone, including cell phones, dial 540-654-4444.
- Give the location of the incident, and the nature of any illness or injury.
- Describe what is happening or what you have observed.
- If reporting a crime, give a description of the suspect(s).
- If reporting a crime, give the suspect’s means and direction of travel.
- Stay on the phone and answer any questions the Emergency Communication Operator may ask.
- Stay on the phone until the Emergency Communication Operator tells you to hang up.
Virginia Relay Service
For persons who are hearing impaired or with loss of speech, communication service is provided through the Virginia Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1. This is a state mandated service and is highly recommended.
Campus Security Authority Form
If a crime is reported to you that is classified as Clery-reportable and it is not immediately reported to the UMW Police Department, please fill out the Crime Reporting form.
Alternate Method of Reporting a Crime
Another method of reporting a crime on campus is by utilizing the Silent Witness System which enables students, faculty and staff to report information about crimes via the Internet anonymously. All information is kept in the strictest confidence and is only accessible to authorized University Police personnel.