Important Break Housing Information
- All residents wishing to remain in their housing assignment during a break period must apply.
- Only those submitting a request will have card access to their residence halls.
- Thanksgiving & Spring Break: All students will be automatically approved following the application submission.
- Winter Break:
- All students requesting to stay late or return early will be automatically approved for dates that the University is open.
- For residents wishing to remain on campus while the University is closed, you will need to apply if you reside in Framar, South, Eagle Landing, or the UMW Apartments, however you will be automatically approved following your application submission.
*NOTE: For Winter Break 2017, the residence halls close at 10am Dec 16. All students living in buildings other than Eagle Landing, UMW Apartments, South, and Framar will have to leave campus by the deadline on Dec 16.
For more information about the application process, meal service, closing dates, and safety tips for during breaks please see the Frequently Asked Questions below.
Thanksgiving & Spring Breaks:
Break Housing Applications are due in MyUMW by the Friday the week before the Residence Halls close for break.
Break Housing Applications are due in MyUMW by the last day of classes for the fall semester.
Failure to meet the deadline published above will result in a $25 late fee being added to your student account.
Sponsored Break Housing
Departments or student groups sponsoring students for an academic, extracurricular, or athletic event requiring a stay in University-owned housing during a break should submit a request for the sponsored students.
Please note that the university is closed December 16th to January 3rd and unless students live in Eagle Landing, UMW Apartments, Framar House or South Hall, they are not able to stay on campus during those dates.
The excel template should be downloaded and emailed to the Residence Life email at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 17th for Thanksgiving Break, December 8th for Winter Break and February 23rd for Spring Break. Any questions can also be sent to email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should apply for Break Housing?
Any student meeting the following conditions should apply for break housing by the posted deadline:
- Student is unable to leave for the break.
- Student is unable to leave until after the residence halls have closed.
- Student needs to return prior to the residence halls reopening.
What is the cost for Break Housing?
There is no cost for Break Housing at this time.
When do halls close for breaks and reopen after breaks?
Thanksgiving Break begins and the student residences close at 10am on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Residences open at 2pm on the Sunday after Thanksgiving Day.
Winter Break begins and the student residences close at 10am on the Saturday immediately following finals week. Residences open at 9am for returning students on Sunday, before the first day of classes.
Spring Break begins and the student residences close at 9pm on Friday, before break starts. Residences open at 2pm on Sunday, before classes resume.
Are meals served during breaks?
Dining Services is closed for all break periods. Visit UMW Dining for more information. Students remaining on campus during breaks are responsible for making alternate arrangements for meals.
How do I help ensure my personal safety on campus during break periods?
UMW Police Officers patrol the campus during break periods, but everyone needs to do their part to assist in the effort to ensure their own safety. Please take the following precautions to help ensure the safety and security of yourself and your personal belongings:
- Lock your room door and apartment/suite door at all times.
- Walk with someone whenever possible or call UMW Police at 540-654-1025 or 540-654-4444 for an escort.
- Call the Police to report any suspicious persons, concerns, or problems.