You’ve come this far! Once you’re ready to apply for acceptance to UMW’s Master of Education with Initial Teacher Licensure program, this checklist will help you make sure you have everything you need:
- Complete the graduate education online application for admission.
- Earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Additional official transcripts may also be required to verify transfer coursework.
- Competitive applicants are encouraged to have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on undergraduate course work and/or a 3.0 cumulative GPA on graduate course work.
- A résumé outlining experiences and education, including any paid and volunteer experience related to education, such as coaching, religious teaching, work with Scouts, etc.
- Passing PRAXIS core – reading, writing, and math – test scores (or passing scores from other qualifying tests, such as SAT and ACT). Use UMW Praxis code 5394.
- Education Licensure Essay – Discuss a current issue in education and how it relates to why you want to become a teacher (length: 1 ½ – 2 pages, double spaced).
- International students should also submit their Request for Form I-20 (for F-1 visa candidates), International Transcript Evaluation, and demonstration of English Language Proficiency.