Earn Two Degrees in Five Years!
Now you can earn two degrees in approximately five years right here at UMW! Polish your GIS skills and enhance your analysis abilities. Gain the edge you need to establish your position in a fast-growing and in-demand industry. The 4+1 program is designed to prepare our students for success through a small class environment with experienced faculty, practical coursework, and a remarkable capstone experience.
Undergraduate students may apply for provisional admission to the MSGA in the second semester of their junior year. This program is designed for students of any major, but they must have completed at least two GIS courses.
Once admitted, the student would take MSGA 510, Spatial Thinking in the fall semester of their senior year and MSGA 520, GeoDesign and GeoVisualization, in the spring semester of their senior year. These courses are not sequenced and may be taken in either order.
College of Arts and Sciences Admission Requirements
- 70 completed credits of Undergraduate study
- Minimum GPA of a 2.7 and at least two GIS courses with a grade of B or higher in each
- One letter of recommendation from a UMW professor attesting to GIS experience
- For students starting their senior year in fall of 2019, the deadline is February 18, 2019.
- For students starting their senior year in spring of 2010, the deadline is September 30, 2019.
- For students starting their senior year in fall of 2010, the deadline is February 17, 2020.
Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions to take the next step in the admissions process at 540/286-8030 or email@example.com.