Acceptance Certificate must be returned to the Office of Admissions by May 1.
The recipient qualifies to receive a scholarship for each of four academic years (Fall/Spring) of continuous undergraduate study at the University of Mary Washington provided that all of the following conditions are satisfied:
- The recipient will receive a scholarship for each academic year that the qualifications are met. One-half of the scholarship will be credited each semester to the student’s account. Awards will be changed in the event domicile is changed after awarding, and students move to off-campus housing.
- Recipients must be full-time at the University of Mary Washington and successfully complete at least 12 credit hours each semester. Students with approved reduced loads from the Office of Disability Resources will have their award automatically adjusted should they fall below full-time status. Students must also obtain permission from the Center for International Education for a reduced course load.
- The scholarship may be used for pre-approved study abroad programs for current scholars who have maintained eligibility for the scholarship prior to their study abroad experience. Pre-approval requires that written permission from the Center for International Education be sent to the Office of Financial Aid. Participation will be limited to one period of study, not to exceed two semesters. Study abroad credit hours equivalent to full-time enrollment will be transferred back to the University of Mary Washington and used to consider scholarship eligibility for the subsequent year. Study abroad participants must return to the University of Mary Washington as full-time residence hall students to complete their degree requirements. The process for using merit scholarships for study abroad programs can be accessed here.
- The scholarship may not be used by students participating in an internship in which the student resides off campus.
- The recipient must maintain the following yearly grade point averages to retain a merit scholarship:
|Earned Credit Hours||Yearly GPA Requirement|
The grade point average is to be determined by the course load requirement used in the determination of Dean’s List students and is based on the end of the spring term regardless if the student attends fall courses. “Earned Credit Hours” are credit hours earned only at UMW.
Should the recipient withdraw during the academic year, an adjustment in the amount of the scholarship will be made according to the University’s refund policy.