The University of Mary Washington Career Center has created guidelines and policies for all postings and recruitment done through our job portal, Handshake.
All posts must adhere to the following standards:
- All employer profiles must include an email address, phone number and location for the company’s contact. Emails must be with a company domain (those using gmail, yahoo, Hotmail, etc. will not be approved). Address must be verifiable through Google Maps.
- If other schools have flagged your organization within Handshake or if you have a low trust score, we reserve the right to deny your request to recruit.
- Postings will not be approved if students must pay for opportunities.
- Employers who wish to recruit at the University of Mary Washington must refer to the Principles for Professional Practice for Employment Professionals, created by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
- We will support and approve internship postings that are learning experiences for our students. Admin and clerical internships may not be approved.
- We WILL NOT allow any postings from private families/individuals. This includes, but is not limited to: personal care assistants, house cleaning, nannies, tutors, and pet care.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
At the University of Mary Washington the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action are practiced. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors in recruiting, admitting, enrolling students or hiring and promoting faculty and staff members. Complaints of discrimination should be directed to the AA/EEO officer of the University.
The University of Mary Washington’s Center for Career and Professional Development reserves the right to accept or deny any position or recruiting organization based upon our own criteria. Additionally, at any time we may deny or remove access rights for organizations that do not meet the above standards.