Virtual events are an impactful way for employers to connect with students. It allows students to ask live questions and interact with employers in their field of interest.
If you would like to host a virtual event, you must submit a virtual event request via Handshake.
If you would like to host virtual interviews, please follow these steps: Virtual Interviews via Handshake
Once your event has been submitted and approved, the UMW Career Center will market to students through the following outlets:
- Career Center Social Media Accounts: Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Handshake Targeted Emails: These are sent to employers’ target student groups, such as specific majors or class years
- Weekly Newsletters: During the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters, weekly newsletters will be sent from the Career Center that include upcoming events
- Outreach to related departments, clubs, and organizations
Recommended virtual event platforms include:
Additional Tips for Virtual Events
- Be sure to test your audio and video at least 20 minutes prior to your event.
- Consider alternative formats, including an office tour, AMA (Ask me Anything), or Employee Panel. This will keep students engaged and interested.
- Record your session. You may be able to use it for additional recruiting purposes. The UMW Career Center may also request to record some of the sessions in order to keep a database of employer sessions.
- Schedule at a time that does not conflict with class schedules. Consider evenings or weekends. Tuesday-Thursday are typically the best days to host a session.
- Events should be a maximum of 45 minutes. Be sure to leave time at the end for questions.
- Review all privacy policies for the platform you are using.
- Follow up with those who attended.
If you have questions about your virtual event, please email Employer Relations Manager Rose Maddox at email@example.com.