The UMW Career Center has a strict policy for missing an appointment or an employer event. If a cancellation is necessary, please contact the Career Center at 540-654-5646 or email email@example.com.
These policies are put in place to prepare students to become workplace professionals. Employers invest time, energy, and money to recruit on the UMW campus. When a student misses an interview or employer event, it impacts both the student and the reputation of the university.
A student is assigned no show status for any of these reasons:
- Canceling a scheduled interview or employer event less than two business days prior to the scheduled date/time (two business days notice will give the Career Center an opportunity to inform the employer in advance and possibly allow another student to take the time slot).
- Not attending a scheduled interview.
- Not attending an employer event that requires pre-registration.
If any of the above situations occur, the following actions will be taken:
First No Show
Your Handshake account will be blocked and you will be ineligible to activate your account or schedule additional on-campus interviews or register for employer events until an apology letter is submitted. In addition, the Career Center will contact your academic advisor to notify them of the missed interview or event.
To remove the hold from your account
- E-mail a letter of apology to Rose Maddox, Operations and Employer Relations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your account will be unblocked as soon as possible.
- If the student fails to do the aforementioned tasks, his/her Handshake account will remain blocked.
Second No Show
Your Handshake account will be blocked and you will be ineligible to activate your account, schedule additional on-campus interviews, or register for employer events for one calendar year. See below for instructions.
To Appeal after a Second No Show
- Schedule an appointment with the Career Center Executive Director, Dr. Paul Binkley. To schedule this appointment, call the Career Center at 540-654-5646 or email email@example.com.