A CHANCE TO JUMPSTART YOUR FUTURE WITH THE ROADMAP ACADEMY
This is a career coaching program focused on exploration. It will set you on the road to career and professional readiness. Space is limited and participation is by application only. Applications are due September 30. The program run from October 2019 until April 2020.
YOUR COMMITMENT: All participants must agree that this opportunity requires commitment, active involvement, and follow-through. In additional completing regular homework essential to the success of the program, you agree to (1) four coaching sessions, (2) to complete a resume and cover letter draft (3) attendance at the spring Job and Internship Fair.
RESULTS: You will be paired with a career coach who will collaborate with you through the process. You will complete and discuss career assessments designed to help you identify your skills/talents and where they intersect with possible careers. In addition, you will learn how to write a resume and cover letter and will become familiar with the elements of “career readiness” and how to attain this status by the time you graduate from UMW.
Introductory Meeting (October)
- Goal: To gather information and build a relationship with your coach
- Activity: Discuss your background, interests, goals
- Homework: Complete at least one formal career assessment (FOCUS 2)
- Discuss: Customized Winter Break action plan (This will vary by student. Recommended elements include volunteer work, job shadow, social media clean-up, etc.)
Winter Break Review (January)
- Goal: Discuss assessment results and accomplishments from Winter Break
- Activity: Identify three career interests based on assessment the above elements
- Homework: Research careers of interest, conduct an informational interview with one professional in each identified field
Career Research Meeting (February/March)
- Goal: Discuss career research results and develop beginning career plan
- Activity: Cover the following topics: resume, cover letter, elevator pitch, internship opportunities for summer/next academic year
- Homework: Develop the above items & start to research internships
Career Readiness/End of Year Meeting (March/April)
- Goal: Learn more about career readiness and what you can do at UMW to attain this status by graduation time
- Activity: Review resume and cover letter; address additional questions
- Homework: Have a great (and productive) summer!
Previous Participants Say:
” I found that the Career Program helped me most with how to present myself to employers professionally on a resume, cover letter and social media accounts.”
” I enjoyed the experience because it forced me to develop my career goals.”
” I believe that the program was successful in helping me prepare myself for the job industry.”
We hope that you will consider applying for the program. Feel free to email email@example.com you have questions.
To apply, please complete the form below:
The deadline has passed. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.