WHAT: This is a career coaching program focused on career exploration. It will set you on the road to career and professional readiness. Space is limited and participation is by application only. Applications are due August 1. The program will begin in November 2017 and end in April 2018.
YOUR COMMITMENT: All participants must agree that this is a high-value opportunity requiring commitment, active involvement, and follow-through. In additional completing regular homework essential to the success of the program, you agree to (1) four coaching sessions, (2) participation in at least two programs or workshops offered by the Center for Career and Professional Development and (3) attendance at the spring Job and Internship Fair (4) attendance at the culminating Etiquette Dinner.
RESULTS: You will be paired with a Career Coach & A Peer Career Consultant with whom you will work. You will complete and discuss career assessments designed to help you identify your skills/talents and where they intersect with possible careers. In addition, you will learn how to write a resume and cover letter and will become familiar with the elements of “career readiness” as well as how to attain this status by the time you graduate from UMW.
Sample Program Schedule:
Introductory meeting (Mid to Late October)
- Goal: To gather information and build a relationship with your coach
- Activity: Discuss your background, interests, goals
- Homework: Complete at least one formal career assessment (FOCUS 2)
- Discuss: Customized Winter Break action plan (This will vary by student. Recommended elements include: volunteer work, job shadow, social media clean-up, etc.)
Assessment Review ( January, immediately after winter break)
- Goal: Discuss assessment results and focus on possible career options
- Activity: Review results and identify three career interests
- Homework: Research careers of interest, conduct an informational interview with one professional in each identified field
Career Research Meeting (February/March)
- Goal: Discuss career research results and develop customized career plan
- Activity: Cover the following topics: Resume Writing, Cover letter writing, Elevator pitch, Internship opportunities for summer/next academic year
- Homework: Develop the above three items & start to research internships
Career Readiness/End of Year Meeting (March/April)
- Goal: Learn more about the factors that comprise career readiness and how what you can do while at UMW to attain the “career ready” status upon graduation
- Activities: Review resume and cover letter and discuss components of career readiness and discuss methods of integrating into the next three years
To apply, please complete the form below:
Sorry. This form is no longer available.