Are you ready to be a graduate student?
You’ll need to be prepared to…
- Invest substantial time, energy, and money. Have you thoroughly investigated these costs?
- Spend the majority of the next 2-7 years studying. Will you be able to handle your living expenses during this time?
- Concentrate on a single topic or narrow range of topics for the next 2-7 years. Will you stay interested?
- Remain in school for several more years. Are you sure you don’t need a break from school?
- Defer any career-related work experience. Or, would work experience now help you get into graduate school later?
- Initiate and carry out independent research. Are you comfortable with that?
(Adapated from UC Berkley)
If you think Graduate School is the right step, think about:
- Where you want to go to graduate school? (Location)
- What type of program are you considering? (Full-Time, Part Time)
- Do you need financial assistance? (Assistantships, TA positions, etc. )
- How long will it take to complete graduate school? (Length of program)
- What are the admission requirements? (Do you need the GMAT, GRE, LSAT)
- When should I apply? (What are the deadlines)
US News And World Report is a great resource for getting started looking at graduate school programs. Your faculty are also a great resource for graduate schools in your field. UMW has several different graduate school programs including: