Philip arrived at UMW in July of 2013 and has overseen daily operations of the Athletic Department’s fundraising initiatives while managing the Eagle Club and Corporate Partner Program. Philip works closely with University Advancement and Alumni Relations to provide and strengthen engagement opportunities with alumni, community members, parents and UMW athletic programs. In May 2014, Philip spearheaded the First Annual Athletics Gala, a sold-out event that nearly generated $50,000 in net revenue.
When he isn’t recruiting new Eagle Club members Philip is charged with marketing and promoting all UMW Athletic teams, contests and special events. In his first few months as an Eagle, Philip organized Eagle Nation Day, a free community festival at the Battleground Athletic Complex designed to connect UMW student-athletes with local families and children. While building the “Eagle Nation” brand, Philip has helped elevate UMW’s profile with over 450 Eagle Club members in the athletic foundation’s first year.
Starting in 2013, Philip will serve as the new Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) Advisor. Through SAAC, Philip annually leads 40 student-athlete team representatives in promoting a positive student-athlete image on campus, community engagement initiatives and generating a student-athlete voice within department administrative issues and policy.
Philip graduated from James Madison University with a degree in Sport and Recreation Management in 2009 and returned home to Fredericksburg where he became Assistant Manager at the Fredericksburg Field House indoor/outdoor artificial turf facility. In 2011, Philip returned to JMU to earn a master’s degree in Sport and Recreation Leadership while serving as a Men’s Soccer assistant coach under Tom “Doc” Martin who is first in career wins among active NCAA Division I coaches. During the 2011 season JMU Men’s Soccer reached the NCAA Tournament’s Round of 16 and the following year the team beat defending national champions and #1 ranked UNC.
Philip enjoys surfing, soccer, and golf, and is passionate for all Boston and DC sport teams. He and his wife Kerrie were married in June 2015.
Philip Pierce in the News
- Cybersecurity Program to Boost Regional WorkforceThe University of Mary Washington will launch a new cybersecurity certification program – the only one of its kind in the Fredericksburg region – thanks to a $110,000 grant recently announced by Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam. Supplemented by equal matching funds, the Virginia Initiative for Growth and Opportunity (GO Virginia)… Read more »
- UMW Celebrates 111th Founders Day AnniversaryToday, March 14, 2019, marks 111 years since the Virginia General Assembly passed legislation establishing the State Normal and Industrial School at Fredericksburg, now the University of Mary Washington. As UMW celebrates Founders Day – and more than a century of contributions to generations of students, the greater Fredericksburg region,… Read more »
- UMW Professors Featured on ‘With Good Reason’ RadioTwo University of Mary Washington faculty members will be featured on the With Good Reason (WGR) public radio show throughout the next two weeks. Assistant Professor of English and Creative Writing Laura Bylenok and Assistant Professor of Modern Languages and Literatures Jennifer Hansen-Glucklich will share their expertise on separate episodes… Read more »
- UMW Hosts FRED – A Social Good Summit on March 22University of Mary Washington’s Center for Community Engagement and IMAGINE Social Good join forces to host FRED – A Social Good Summit on Friday, March 22 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Digital Auditorium of the Hurley Convergence Center on UMW’s Fredericksburg campus. The event is free and… Read more »
- UMW Receives Preservation Award for Amphitheatre RenovationThe recent restoration of the University of Mary Washington’s century-old amphitheatre has been recognized by the Historic Fredericksburg Foundation, Inc. (HFFI). The nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting historic downtown Fredericksburg honored UMW with the E. Boyd Graves Preservation Award of Excellence. HFFI recognized John Wiltenmuth, associate vice president for Facilities… Read more »