Philip arrived at UMW in July of 2013 and has overseen daily operations of the Athletic Department’s fundraising initiatives while managing the Eagle Club and Corporate Partner Program. Philip works closely with University Advancement and Alumni Relations to provide and strengthen engagement opportunities with alumni, community members, parents and UMW athletic programs. In May 2014, Philip spearheaded the First Annual Athletics Gala, a sold-out event that nearly generated $50,000 in net revenue.
When he isn’t recruiting new Eagle Club members Philip is charged with marketing and promoting all UMW Athletic teams, contests and special events. In his first few months as an Eagle, Philip organized Eagle Nation Day, a free community festival at the Battleground Athletic Complex designed to connect UMW student-athletes with local families and children. While building the “Eagle Nation” brand, Philip has helped elevate UMW’s profile with over 450 Eagle Club members in the athletic foundation’s first year.
Starting in 2013, Philip will serve as the new Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) Advisor. Through SAAC, Philip annually leads 40 student-athlete team representatives in promoting a positive student-athlete image on campus, community engagement initiatives and generating a student-athlete voice within department administrative issues and policy.
Philip graduated from James Madison University with a degree in Sport and Recreation Management in 2009 and returned home to Fredericksburg where he became Assistant Manager at the Fredericksburg Field House indoor/outdoor artificial turf facility. In 2011, Philip returned to JMU to earn a master’s degree in Sport and Recreation Leadership while serving as a Men’s Soccer assistant coach under Tom “Doc” Martin who is first in career wins among active NCAA Division I coaches. During the 2011 season JMU Men’s Soccer reached the NCAA Tournament’s Round of 16 and the following year the team beat defending national champions and #1 ranked UNC.
Philip enjoys surfing, soccer, and golf, and is passionate for all Boston and DC sport teams. He and his wife Kerrie were married in June 2015.
Philip Pierce in the News
- Ten for Ten Challenge ReturnsOctober 1 marked the start of UMW’s third annual Ten for Ten Challenge, in which student-athletes give back to support their teams. The primary goal is to teach current Eagles about the athletic department’s booster club, the Eagle Club, and how donors continue to enhance the UMW student-athlete experience. Ten... Read more »
- Megan Murphy is Student Athlete of the MonthUniversity of Mary Washington senior swimmer Megan Murphy has been named as the January Wagner Wealth Management Athlete of the Month. Murphy led the UMW women to an undefeated month in four dual meets, capped by a big 150-112 win over Gettysburg College on Senior Day. A three-time, CAC Swimmer of... Read more »
- Rogol Named to Virginia Athletic Trainers’ Association Hall of FameIan Rogol, head athletic trainer at the University of Mary Washington, has been elected into the Virginia Athletic Trainers' Association (VATA) Hall of Fame. The award, presented earlier this month, recognizes VATA members for exemplary service and dedication to the athletic training profession in the Commonwealth of Virginia. [...] The post Rogol... Read more »
- Jessie Cavolt is Student-Athlete of the Month for SeptemberJunior field hockey goalie Jessica Cavolt has been named as the UMW Wagner Wealth Management Athlete of the Month for September. Cavolt has led the Eagles to a consistent national ranking this season, placing as high as 14th in the nation after defeating ninth-ranked Franklin & Marshall College. The Eagles played... Read more »
- Annual Eagle Club Golf Tournament Slated for Family Weekend, Sept. 15UMW Athletics is excited to announce the 3rd Annual Eagle Club Golf Tournament will return for Family Weekend 2017. The event will be held at Augustine Golf Club, home of UMW Golf! The Eagle Club is the fundraising arm of UMW Athletics and its mission is to maximize opportunities and strengthen... Read more »