Porter R. Blakemore, Associate Professor of History, earned a Ph.D. (1978) in history from the University of Georgia and an M.A. (1974) in history from James Madison University, after having received a B.A. (1968) in political science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. A former naval aviator, Dr. Blakemore is a knowledgeable source in the areas of military history, modern European diplomatic history, modern German history and Europe since 1945. He also teaches seminars on Nazi Germany and World War I.
Porter Blakemore in the News
- Governor Appoints to Monroe Museum Board of RegentsOutgoing Gov. Terry McAuliffe recently announced appointments to the Board of Regents of the James Monroe Law Office Museum and Memorial Library. Among the appointments from UMW are Porter Blakemore, associate professor of history; Jeffrey W. McClurken, professor of history and special adviser to the UMW president; Rita Thompson of… Read more »
- Gubernatorial appointments for Jan. 8 (Richmond Times-Dispatch)[...] The post Gubernatorial appointments for Jan. 8 (Richmond Times-Dispatch) appeared first on EagleEye. Read more »
- University Philharmonic Fall ProgramThe fall program for the University Philharmonic Orchestra will be exciting. The Orchestra will perform its Masterworks concert featuring Beethoven's Eroica Symphony on Oct. 22. Then on Dec. 9 it will present Christmas with Tony Bennett. Tickets for the Masterworks concert are on sale now. Tickets for the Christmas with Tony… Read more »
- Joshua Bell Comes to Mary WashingtonRenowned violinist Joshua Bell will be appearing with the University of Mary Washington Philharmonic Orchestra at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 26, 2016, in Dodd Auditorium. Accompanied by the orchestra, he will perform the Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor. Tickets are available at umwphilharmonic.com or by phone… Read more »
- UMW to Host Historic ConcertLegendary Three Tenors Singer Performs with Philharmonic The UMW Philharmonic and Music Director Dr. Kevin Bartram announced that legendary tenor José Carreras has agreed to perform a rare concert with the orchestra on Saturday, October 17 in the William M. Anderson Center. José Carreras is best-known for his record-breaking appearances… Read more »