This appeal process is for students that have not been renewed for a merit-based scholarship or curriculum award based on unmet renewal criteria. The following awards may be affected:
- Presidential Honors
- Blue and Gray
While each of these scholarships has a unique set of renewal criteria, the most common reasons for non-renewal are not meeting GPA requirements, moving to off campus for housing, not meeting enrollment criteria, etc.
Students are permitted to appeal the loss of a merit scholarship; however, the right to appeal must be based on extraordinary, personal circumstances that contributed to the student’s inability to meet the renewal requirements. Acceptable circumstances include:
- The death of an immediate family member (i.e. mother, father, sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin, grandparent)
- A serious, documented injury or illness
- Significant, unanticipated family obligations due to medical issue or illness
- A catastrophic loss due to fire, flood, or natural disaster that affects the student’s academic attendance or performance
- Documented incident within the residence hall
Please note: Appeals for housing (moving off campus) generally will only result in the commuter equivalent of when you started at UMW. In some cases this may result in no award.
To appeal, students may complete the Merit & Curriculum Scholarship Appeal Form through the financial aid forms page.
If reinstated, awards are not retroactive. The award will be reinstated for the current or upcoming semesters based on the determination made by the Scholarship committee. This decision is final.