Was I selected for Verification?
- Student Aid Report (SAR) – Students receive a Student Aid Report from the Dept. of Education after submitting their FAFSA. This shows whether or not they are selected.
- MYUMW Eagle Gateway – Students can view a full list of financial aid requirements after valid FAFSA results have been sent to UMW from Dept. of Education.
- UMW Email– Students with unsatisfied requirements receive monthly emails from Financial Aid Office.
Why are students selected for Verification?
- FAFSA randomly chosen by Dept. of Education
- FAFSA incomplete
- FAFSA contains estimated information
HELPFUL TIP: Use the IRS Data Retrieval tool in the FAFSA. Your chance of being selected for Verification will decrease.
What do I have to submit and where do I send it?
- View your requirements through the Financial Aid Requirement list, as seen through your myUMW portal.
- Possible documentation: Verification Worksheet, tax information from the IRS, and copies of W2s or other wage statements, etc.
- Submit items by email to email@example.com or by fax to (540)654-1858.
HELPFUL TIP: The Office of Financial Aid is not able to accept copies of tax returns to satisfy tax requirements. The easiest way to satisfy these requirements is to transfer your tax information directly into the FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. You may also order and submit a Tax Return Transcript.
What happens once I submit my documents?
- Continue to check the status through your MYUMW Portal
- When we receive your documents, the status changes to “Received but not Reviewed.”
- When Verification is complete, your document status changes to “Received and Reviewed” and is accompanied by a green check mark.
HELPFUL TIP: It is common for your Financial Aid Officer to request additional documents during this process. Please be sure to also monitor your UMW email account.
What if I don’t complete the Verification process?
- The verification process is a federal regulation
- In order for a student to receive financial aid, as well as any state or institutional need-based aid, this process must be complete.
- If you do not plan to complete this process or receive financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Aid office so we can update your status.