Was I selected for Verification?
- Student Aid Report (SAR) – Students receive a Student Aid Report from the Dept. of Education after submitting their FAFSA. This shows whether or not they are selected.
- MYUMW Eagle Gateway – Students can view a full list of financial aid requirements after valid FAFSA results have been sent to UMW from Dept. of Education.
- UMW Email– Students with unsatisfied requirements receive monthly emails from Financial Aid Office.
Why are students selected for Verification?
- FAFSA randomly chosen by Dept. of Education
- FAFSA incomplete
- FAFSA contains estimated information
What do I have to submit and where do I send it?
- View your requirements through the Financial Aid Requirement list, as seen through your myUMW portal.
- Possible documentation: Verification Worksheet, tax information from the IRS, and copies of W2s or other wage statements, etc.
- Submit items by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (540)654-1858.
HELPFUL TIP: The Office of Financial Aid is not able to accept copies of tax returns to satisfy tax requirements. You must order and submit a Tax Return Transcript.
What happens once I submit my documents?
- Continue to check the status through your MYUMW Portal
- When we receive your documents, the status changes to “Received but not Reviewed.”
- When Verification is complete, your document status changes to “Received and Reviewed” and is accompanied by a green check mark.
HELPFUL TIP: It is common for your Financial Aid Officer to request additional documents during this process. Please be sure to also monitor your UMW email account.
What if I don’t complete the Verification process?
- The verification process is a federal regulation
- In order for a student to receive financial aid, as well as any state or institutional need-based aid, this process must be complete.
- If you do not plan to complete this process or receive financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Aid office so we can update your status.