- Students must complete the Summer Financial Aid Request Form (available April through June)
- Review of requests begin in mid-April
- Students receive approval or denials via their UMW e-mail.
- Awards can be viewed through the student MyUMW portal.
- Disbursements occur throughout the summer sessions based on a student’s enrollment.
- Students may take courses at another institution as long as UMW is the student’s home university. If this is the case, they will need to complete the Request for Consortium Agreement form.
SUMMER FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY
- Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): Progress is checked after professors submit grades in May.
- Enrollment: Please keep in mind that changes in enrollment may cause changes in financial aid eligibility. At minimum, students must be enrolled in at least 6 undergraduate credit hours or 5 graduate credits during the summer semester to receive financial aid
- Please contact the Office of Financial Aid if you plan to drop or withdraw from a class after the official add/drop period has ended.
TYPES OF SUMMER FINANCIAL AID
Federal Financial Aid (Direct Student/Parent Loans/Federal Pell Grant)
- Student must have completed 2019-20 FAFSA
- Students may be eligible for Federal Direct Student Loans if they have not used their maximum amount in the Fall and/or Spring semesters. Per year maximums are:
- Freshman (1-29 credits earned) $5,500 dependent, $9,500 independent
- Sophomore (30-59 credits earned) $6,500 dependent, $10,500 independent
- Junior/Senior (60+ credits earned) $7,500 dependent, $12,500 independent
- Graduate – $20,500
- Year-round Pell will be available to eligible students for 2019-2020 award year. This change to the Federal Pell Grant Program allows eligible students to receive up to 150 percent of a regular Federal Pell Grant Award over the course of the academic year (Fall, Spring, and Summer). To be eligible to receive the additional Pell Grant funds, the student must be otherwise eligible to receive Pell Grant funds for the payment period and must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits).
- Parents may apply for a Parent Plus Loan at https://studentloans.gov.
Private Educational Loans
- The student must meet eligibility criteria for chosen educational loan, and complete the loan process through that loan lender.
- For some lenders, students must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Scholarships or other Financial Aid
- There are a limited number of grants and scholarships available during the summer semester. If eligible, students will be automatically awarded (no separate application)
- Students must have completed a 2019-20 FAFSA
- The Financial aid office will post any available scholarship opportunities to the MyUMW Financial Aid portal.