If you would like to hire a student employee and don’t know where to begin, then this page is for you. Please find below the step-by-step process for hiring a student employee:
- Review your departmental budget to ensure you can afford to compensate a student’s work.
Tip: A student typically works 10 hours a week on average for 30 weeks per academic year. For example, if the pay rate for your open position is $7.25, it would be wise to budget $2,175 for the academic year per student employee based on the formula $7.25 x 10 hours x 30 weeks.
- Post an open job. See the “Post an Open Job” webpage.
- Review the applications received and select students for interviews.
- Notify the student you are hiring that she has been selected. As a courtesy to the other applicants, it would be a kindness to inform them that your department has made its hiring decisions.
- Contact the Student Employment Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Hired student’s name
- Banner ID
- Pay rate**
- FOAP to charge (six-digit org# is fine)
- Any special notes, such as a desired start date so as to provide a deadline for the paperwork.
- PLEASE US THIS FORM TO LIST THE STUDENTS YOU ARE HIRING: SEMPL Hire Form 17-18 or SEMPL Hire Form 16-17.
**Normally an hourly wage. Stipend contracts are an option in some cases.
- The Student Employment Coordinator will contact the hired student via UMW e-mail with the required paperwork and other important notices. The supervisor will be copied on this e-mail.
- The student submits the completed paperwork, including IDs for the Form I-9, to the Office of Financial Aid.
- The Student Employment Coordinator follows up with the supervisor and the student via UMW e-mail with an official work authorization. NOTE: In order to ensure compliance with federal and institutional employment policies, students are NOT to begin work until they have been authorized to work by the Office of Financial Aid. See the Federal Form I-9 FAQ page for more details.
If you have any questions at all about the hiring process, please contact the Student Employment Coordinator at email@example.com.