There are three things you should know before proceeding with the stipend process:
- The total amount of the stipend contract must be paid out in smaller, biweekly payments until the end of the contract period (non-exemption rule).
- Student employees who receive biweekly stipend payments are still required to clock their hours in MyTime (non-exemption rule).
- Stipend contracts must be approved by Human Resources before they can go into effect. If a stipend is not approved, the position will need to have an hourly pay rate assigned to it. For this step of the process, please complete and submit an Employee Work Profile [.docx] for the stipend position to Paula Wilder (email@example.com).
Once a stipend for a position has been approved:
- Create a stipend contract for the position. Contact the Student Employment Coordinator for a sample. This contract will eventually be signed by the students who are assigned this position.
- Complete the hiring process as detailed on the “Hire a Student Employee” page as normal.
- After a student has been hired for the position, the student needs to sign a copy of the stipend contract. The student may sign the contract before receiving a work authorization, but the student cannot actually begin working until he has been authorized to work.
- Send a copy of the signed contract to the Student Employment Coordinator in Office of Financial Aid, Lee Hall 230.