If your parent would like to apply for a Parent PLUS loan, the steps are as follows:
- The student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid before being considered for a Parent PLUS Loan.
- The parent should log on to the Direct Loan website. The parent (not the student) should log in using his or her own Federal Student Aid ID and password.
- Click on “Request a PLUS loan,” then on “Parent PLUS,” and follow the instructions. The Department of Education will initiate a credit check, which is valid for 180 days. The results will be electronically sent to UMW.
- Complete the electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) by clicking on “Complete Master Promissory Note,” then select Parent Plus. The eMPN record will be sent electronically to the University and the student account updated within two weeks of the parent completing it.
- Complete the Parent Plus Request Form and fax (540-654-1858), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or mail it to the University’s Office of Financial Aid.
Please note that the PLUS loan cannot be disbursed or credited to a student’s bill until all steps have been completed and recorded by the Office of Financial Aid.