Parents of dependent students may apply for a Direct PLUS Loan to help cover the costs of their child’s educational expenses. These loans are credit based and parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other aid and resources received. The cost of attendance may be found on the upper corner of the student’s award letter, or on the student MyUMW portal.
Graduate and professional students may apply for PLUS Loans for their own educational expenses. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply. Students must have received maximum Direct Unsubsidized Student Loans before they may receive a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan.
Parent PLUS Loan Instructions:
- The student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid before being considered for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan.
- The borrower should log on to the Direct Loan website. The parent (not the student) should log in using his or her own FSA ID and password.
- Click on “Request a PLUS loan,” then on “Parent PLUS,” and follow the instructions. The Department of Education will initiate a credit check, which is valid for 180 days. The results will be electronically sent to UMW.
- Complete the electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) by clicking on “Complete Master Promissory Note,” then select Parent Plus. The eMPN record will be sent electronically to the University and the student account.
Please note that the PLUS loan cannot be disbursed or credited to a student’s bill until all steps have been completed and recorded by the Office of Financial Aid.
- Parent Plus Request Form (to be submitted to the UMW Financial Aid Office)