More than two decades ago, the college adopted a statement of values to promote an equitable atmosphere within our campus community. This fall, the university launched ASPIRE, our new statement of community values, to continue that legacy and more.
ASPIRE is the culmination of a semester long community wide discussion led by a dedicated committee comprised of faculty, staff, students, parents, alum and the local community, where we were asked to share what we stand for as a community, what shapes how we interact with each other, how we approach work and learning and what we strive to be. Through our values we dedicate ourselves to working together to create learning and working environments where all members will thrive and grow.
The message of ASPIRE is seen and heard throughout–on banners along campus walk, stickers on doors and laptops, and wall posters in residence halls, classes and offices; in student leader meetings and new student orientation sessions; in work group and policy discussions, new faculty and staff orientations and more. We are asking each member of our community to reflect individually and with others on how they will bring life to ASPIRE and to share perspectives and ideas to ensure that ASPIRE guides all that we do.
ASPIRE – Our Statement of Community Values
As a public, liberal arts university, the University of Mary Washington community is dedicated to providing a diverse, accepting, and supportive environment that holds all of its members to the highest standards of conduct, scholarship, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and engagement. Through a commitment to these values, we strive to transform our academic community into a place where all will learn, thrive, and grow. As faculty, staff, and students of the UMW community, we are committed to upholding these common values:
- Accountability – we promote practices, behaviors, and attitudes where individuals take responsibility for their actions and decisions.
- Scholarship – we promote intellectual inquiry by engaging ideas and one another in order to gain better understanding and contribute to knowledge
- Personal and Institutional Integrity – we are honorable in our academic and work endeavors as well as our interactions with others.
- Inclusive Excellence – we strive for all members of the community to have equitable access to opportunities for participation and the resources necessary for success.
- Respect and Civility – we foster an environment in which every individual is treated with dignity at all times by valuing the inherent worth of all identities, abilities, and differences.
- Engagement – we develop engaged members of our community who actively participate in the community through responsible leadership and service.
We ASPIRE to live these values and work to support our collective and individual successes.
Sabrina Johnson, VP Equity & Access & CDO