Your senior will be walking across the stage on Saturday, May 11th.
The Commencement Ceremony is our premiere event recognizing our graduates’ achievements during their time at University of Mary Washington. We invite your family and friends to celebrate the students’ well deserved acknowledgments. Thank you for being a part of our community and it has been a pleasure to see our soon to be alumni grow with us. To ensure you enjoy the ceremony, please visit our website at www.umw.edu/commencement. The information below will help you prepare for the big day!
7:00 a.m.: The field at Ball Circle opens for seating. Tickets are not required and seating will be available on a first-come, first-served basis
8:00 a.m.: Candidates for Undergraduate Commencement line up around Jefferson Square.
9:00 a.m.: The procession begins promptly as the Bell Tower chimes and campus walk is temporarily closed until the graduates are in place and the ceremony begins. Please dress for the day, the ceremony is expected to conclude just before noon.
12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.: The Commencement Luncheon immediately follows the ceremony in the Chandler ballroom of the University Center. Enjoy a delicious buffet and relax with family and friends! Tickets are available for advance purchase online. A limited number of tickets may be available to purchase on site.
- Ball Circle, the venue for Undergraduate Commencement, will be set with 7,000 folding chairs.
- The ceremony can be seen from a large screen on Ball Circle and will be streamed live with a link on the University webpage for guests who are not able to join us on campus. Indoor viewing locations on campus include George Washington Hall, Lee Hall and the University Center.
- At 9:00 a.m. all guests are asked to clear campus walk as the candidates for Undergraduate Commencement will process to Ball Circle.
Remember the Moments
A professional photographer from GradImages® will be at the commencement ceremony to photograph each graduate upon exiting the stage. Graduates will receive a free passport-sized digital proof via email within 1 to 3 days and via postal mail within 5 to 7 days following the ceremony. After Commencement, orders may be placed online or by calling 1-800-261-2576. Guests are welcome to take photographs during the ceremony.
Applaud with Flowers
A flower vendor will be on campus walk for guests to purchase flowers for their graduate. Please pre-order flowers from our vendor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are tickets required?
Tickets are not required to attend the ceremony. Seating is on a first come, first served basis.
- Guests and graduates may park anywhere on campus that is not designated as reserved, handicapped, or full.
- Additional parking may be found at the parking deck on Alvey Drive and along College Avenue and the surrounding streets.
- George Washington Hall, Lee Hall, and Monroe Hall Parking Lots are designated for handicapped parking. Golf cart shuttles will transport guests needing special assistance from George Washington Hall parking lot to Ball Circle, the venue of the event.
Need Special Accommodations?
All venues are wheelchair accessible. The University will provide American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters. Please contact the Events Office as soon as possible to arrange for reserved seating by the interpreters.
- Call (540) 654-1087 or submit the Contact Us form
What if there’s Severe Weather?
The University holds commencement exercises outdoors, even when it is raining so dress accordingly. Umbrellas are welcome. However, in the event of extreme or dangerous weather, the University will utilize our alerts system and post updates on the UMW website.
Ali Hieber, Coordinator of Community Events