The James Farmer Multicultural Center is named after the legendary Civil Rights activist, Dr. James Farmer, Jr. The Center is celebrating its thirtieth year of existence this year.
Archives for September 2019
Financial Aid Updates
- 2020-2021 FAFSA: The 2020-2021 FAFSA is will be available October 1st, 2019 at fafsa.ed.gov or by downloading the new MyStudentAid app in the Apple App Store or Google Play. It is recommended that students complete the FAFSA early to ensure they receive funding from all financial aid programs for which they are eligible. For example, Virginia State grants have limited funding, and are awarded based on FAFSA completion date until the grant funds are depleted. The 2020-2021 FAFSA priority deadline is February 1st, 2020.
- Enrollment Changes & Financial Aid: When initially awarded, financial aid is based on full-time enrollment (12-18 credits/semester). After the add/drop period, all financial aid packages are reviewed based on actual enrollment. Please be aware that dropping below full-time status could cause a change in your financial aid package. Please visit the UMW Financial aid website for a full list of enrollment requirements by program type.
- Direct Deposit: UMW highly recommends that students sign up for direct deposit so that any funds can go directly into their bank accounts. Direct deposit can help to avoid the additional delays in both mailing and receiving a check. Students will receive an email when funds are transmitted, it can take 3 – 4 business days for the funds to be deposited into your account.
- Student Employment: There are approximately 750 student employment positions across campus. Students may apply through the UMW Careers Portal. Hiring occurs throughout the year.
Tessa Howard, Senior Assistant Director, Financial Aid
Student Accounts Updates
Spring plans will open mid-to-late October. Be sure to check the student accounts website for availability and to sign up: http://adminfinance.umw.edu/studentaccounts/
Authorized payers can set up a payment plan via EaglePay.
- Go to http://adminfinance.umw.edu/studentaccounts/eaglepay
- Click on Authorized Payers and enter log-in information
- Click on Make Payment
- Click on Enroll in a Payment Plan at the bottom of the page.
Check/Credit Card: Payments may be made online through EaglePay. Take note that a non-refundable 2.75% service fee is charged for all credit card payments. There are no service fees when paying with an e-check.
Julie Pugliese, Assistant AR Manager, Office of Student Accounts
The start of the 2019 fall semester marked the opening of the new Jepson Science Center addition and the near completion of renovation work in the original Jepson science building.
Fall is my favorite season for the weather and the start of school. When I lived in Monrovia, Liberia, there were only 2 seasons: dry and rainy. (Monrovia is the wettest capital city in the world.) Needless to say, I felt out of my element, which made it difficult for me to succeed professionally.
I am experiencing the exact opposite at the University of Mary Washington (UMW).
UMW Theatre enjoyed an amazing 2018-19 season, playing to over 6,500 people for 48 performances of four productions in Klein Theatre. Already our students, faculty, and staff are hard at work on the 2019-20 season.
Mark Your Calendars!: Family Weekend 2019
During the spring semester of my junior year, I chose to study overseas in Bilbao, Spain, at the University of Deusto. I had never been overseas for such a long time and I didn’t know what to expect. I just knew that I wanted to go explore the world!