Steven Harris in the News
Read more about Steven Harris.
- Harris Co-Edits Special Issue of Journal of Urban HistoryAssociate Professor Steven E. Harris (HISA) recently co-edited with Daria Bocharnikova (University of Leuven / Center for the Fine Arts BOZAR) a special issue of the Journal of Urban History, volume 44, no. 1 (2018). The special issue, "Second World Urbanity: New Histories of the Socialist City," features five research articles... Read more »
- Harris Presents Paper at Airport Culture(s) Conference in LondonAssociate Professor of History Steven E. Harris presented his paper, "Soviet Airports: Futuristic Gateways to the Socialist City," at the interdisciplinary conference, "Airport Culture(s)," held at the University of London, April 28-29, 2016. Harris' paper is based on the research and writing for his current book project, "Wings of the... Read more »
- Harris Wins Verville Fellowship at National Air and Space MuseumSteven E. Harris, Associate Professor of History, was recently awarded an A. Verville Fellowship at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. The 12-month fellowship will allow Harris to work full-time on his second book project, "Wings of the Motherland: Soviet and Russian Cultures of Aviation from Khrushchev to... Read more »
- Harris talks to The Source about Soviet Aviation, Putin’s RussiaThe Soviet Union’s collapse in 1991 might have been expected to make Russia a liberal democracy; instead we see broad popular support for Putin’s undemocratic regime. Historian Steve Harris turns to aviation to offer new ways of understanding the Soviet past and Russia’s present. See the full interview at The Source.... Read more »
- Harris Presents Paper at University of PennsylvaniaSteven E. Harris, Associate Professor of History, presented his chapter, "Cold War Friendly Skies: Pan Am, Aeroflot and the Political Economy of Détente," at the Russian History and Culture Workshop at the University of Pennsylvania on March 18. Harris was invited to present this chapter, which is part of his current... Read more »