The Values that Unite Us
As a public, liberal arts university, the University of Mary Washington community is dedicated to providing a diverse, accepting, and supportive environment that holds all of its members to the highest standards of conduct, scholarship, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and engagement. Through a commitment to these values, we strive to transform our academic community into a place where all will learn, thrive, and grow. As faculty, staff, and students of the UMW community, we are committed to upholding these common values
- Accountability – we promote practices, behaviors, and attitudes where individuals take responsibility for their actions and decisions.
- Scholarship – we promote intellectual inquiry by engaging ideas and one another in order to gain better understanding and contribute to knowledge.
- Personal and Institutional Integrity – we are honorable in our academic and work endeavors as well as our interactions with others.
- Inclusive Excellence – we strive for all members of the community to have equitable access to opportunities for participation and the resources necessary for success.
- Respect and Civility – we foster an environment in which every individual is treated with dignity at all times by valuing the inherent worth of all identities, abilities, and differences.
- Engagement – we develop engaged members of our community who actively participate in the community through responsible leadership and service.
We ASPIRE to live these values and work to support our collective and individual successes.
Our Principles on Diversity and Inclusion
UMW embraces its obligation to serve the educational aspirations of all communities and seeks to reflect the diversities of all people in its students, faculty, and staff. This philosophical approach to diversity and inclusion strengthens our community and is essential to our academic mission and institutional excellence. UMW is committed to its responsibility to be a model of fairness, inclusivity, equity, access and equal opportunity, providing intellectual and institutional leadership regarding diversity, and maintaining a welcoming, inclusive environment of mutual respect for its members of all backgrounds and identities. In keeping with these tenets, the University is committed to a system of responsibility, accountability, and recognition of all of its members, and seeks to carry out these principles of diversity and inclusion in all of its operations, goals, and objectives.
We Stand by our Beliefs
At the University of Mary Washington the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action are practiced. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors in recruiting, admitting, enrolling students or hiring and promoting faculty and staff members. Complaints of discrimination should be directed to the AA/EEO officer of the University.