Friday, September 16
Open Class Sessions
- 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Various Academic Buildings
- Join your student for a class and get a taste of academic life at UMW. Please make arrangements with the professor in advance.
2nd Annual Eagle Club Golf Tournament
- Noon Registration and open range; 2 p.m. shotgun start
- Augustine Golf Club – Home of UMW Golf, beginning Fall 2016
- 76 Monument Drive, Stafford, VA 22554
- Must pre-register by Sept. 2, 2016
- Registration includes lunch, free drinks on the course and post-tournament buffet!
Saturday, September 17
Campus Recreation Poker Walk/Run
- Fitness Center
- 6 a.m. On-site registration and check-in
- 7 a.m. Start time
- 8 a.m. Post Run Snacks and Awards
- Start and Finish Location: Fitness Center
- Poker Run Fee: $15, extra hand: $10 each, includes T-shirt
Participants will travel on foot and must visit five checkpoints, drawing a playing card at each one. The object is to have the best poker hand at the end of the run. Participants must complete the course in 1 hour, however the participants are not timed—winning is purely a matter of chance. Come out and try your hand to win a prize!
- 9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., Jepson Alumni Executive Center
- 1119 Hanover Street, Rappahannock Ballroom
The Office of Alumni Relations invites UMW alumni, students, and families with historic UMW legacy connections (grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.) to celebrate their shared experiences while enjoying a complimentary breakfast. By invitation, requires advance registration.
Men’s and Women’s Tennis Kickoff Classic
- 10 a.m., UMW Tennis Center at the Battleground Athletic Complex
- 1129 Hanover Street, Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Come watch UMW Tennis take on some of the best teams in the region at this all-day tournament!
Meet UMW Basketball Players– WIN Season Tickets!
- 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Ball Circle
Come and meet your UMW Eagles! Challenge a UMW Basketball player to a game of Pop-A-Shot or hit a 25-foot 3-point shot and win a pair of UMW Basketball Season Tickets!
UMW Soccer and UMW Field Hockey defend The Battleground!
- 1 p.m. start times for both games
- Battleground Athletic Complex, Hanover Street
- Free Admission
Make your way over to the Battleground and watch UMW Women’s Soccer take on Goucher College and UMW Field Hockey play Lynchburg College. GO EAGLES!
Taking Your Business Degree to the Next Step
- 10 a.m., Woodard Hall, Room 249
Join the College of Business for a panel session with business alumni to find out where their UMW degrees took them. The session will be moderated by Associate Dean Kenneth D. Machande, and followed by a Q&A session.
Pop-Up James Monroe Museum
- 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Ball Circle
See a portable version of UMW’s James Monroe Museum, which has the world’s largest collection of artifacts related to the fifth President of the United States. Enjoy children’s activities (adults can play, too!), period music, and conversations with James Monroe himself!
27th Annual Fredericksburg Welsh Festival
- 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Downtown Fredericksburg
- 900 block of Charles Street
Featuring traditional music, dancing, arts, crafts, and foods of Wales. The trolley will provide transportation between UMW’s Double Drive and the festival.
Chocolate Chomp Challenge
- 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Hurley Convergence Center, B12 Digital Auditorium
Learn about Chomp and other fun games. Chomp was developed by mathematician and economist David Gale and is played by calculating moves that involve eating a chocolate bar!
Virginia Politics 2016
- 10 a.m. – 11 a.m., Monroe Hall, Room 346
A rundown on the latest in Virginia politics, presented by Dr. Stephen Farnsworth, UMW professor of political science and international affairs.
UMW Abroad Fair
- 10 a.m.-1 p.m., University Center, Chandler Ballroom
Talk to UMW Faculty-Led program directors, education-abroad representatives, alumni, and Center for International Education staff to explore study, research, volunteer, and internship opportunities all over the world.
Civil War Walking Tours
- 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Lee Hall, Meet on Campus Walk
- Rain Location: Lee Hall, 3rd Floor Lobby.
The UMW Historic Preservation Club will host half-hour tours of campus beginning every 30 minutes. Please visit the Civil War Tours table to sign up. Space is limited.
Family Fun Fair
- 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., Ball Circle
Join in the family fun – games, photo booth, basketball, funnel cakes, and more.
Enjoy tasty outdoor grilling!
- 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
$13 for adults and $7 for children the day of the event. Students may use a meal swipe. Tickets will be available mid – August through Family Weekend Registration. Rain location 4th floor of the University Center.
Geography Department Open House
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. Monroe Hall, Room 319
Demonstrations and explanations of activities within and associated with geography courses, including active GIS, slideshows from study abroad experiences, research on meandering stream flow, examination of pollen grains, and mapping with GPS. Light snacks and drinks provided.
Chemistry “Magic” Show
- 1 p.m. and 2 p.m., Jepson Science Center, Room 100
The student affiliates of the American Chemical Society and the Department of Chemistry invite you to come and see awe-inspiring and wonder-filled chemistry demonstrations.
Tour of Brompton, Home of the UMW President
- 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., Historic Brompton
Described as one of America’s most historic houses, Brompton is famous for being at the center of the Battle of Fredericksburg in 1862. The home now serves as the official residence of the University president. President and Mrs. Paino will be on hand to greet families. Please access the house via the walkway on Hanover Street, across from the Jepson Alumni Executive Center located at 1119 Hanover Street.
Exciting Evening with a Hypnotist!
- 8:00 p.m. George Washington Hall, Dodd Auditorium
A UMW tradition – Tom DeLuca is back again to hypnotize the students of UMW. Will you get chosen this year? Come be a part of an exceptionally entertaining experience that you will not soon forget! Free Admission
Sunday, September 18
Time on Your Own
Visit downtown Fredericksburg, have breakfast, go shopping, or just hang out with family members. Enjoy the day as you wrap up Family Weekend!
UMW Art Galleries
The UMW Galleries presents two exhibitions. The Ridderhof Martin Gallery features “The French Horse, from Romanticism to Surrealism: Works from the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts” with works by artists such as Degas, Delacroix, Gericault and more.
duPont Gallery features “Jon McMillan: Confluence” with works by UMW Assistant Professor of ceramics Jon McMillan. Both exhibitions are on view September 1 – October 9.
Family weekend hours for both galleries: Friday (Sept 16) 10am – 4pm, Saturday (Sept 17) 10am – 4pm, and Sunday (Sept 18) 10am – 4pm.
Gari Melchers Home and Studio at Belmont
- 224 Washington St., Falmouth, Va. 22405
- Gari Melchers Home and Studio is open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
Admission is free to students and families during Family Weekend. Learn more at Gari Melchers Home & Studio.
James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library
- 908 Charles St., Fredericksburg, Va. 22401
- The James Monroe Museum is open 10 a.m. -5 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Sunday.
Admission is free to students and families, including the Welsh Festival on Saturday afternoon, though donations are welcomed. Learn more at James Monroe Museum.