Your purpose, your future, your dreams. We’ll be your partners in working towards them. We’ll connect you to experiences that will take you to the next level. Think internships, study abroad, research projects, community service and more. Here, you’ll make each and every moment matter.
majors, minors, and courses of study.
student to faculty ratio
students in a typical class
Division III NCAA sports teams
fabulous mascot, Sammy D. Eagle
First-Year Admission Checklist
Use the checklist below to be sure you’ve got everything covered.
Application Materials and Information
- UMW accepts both The Common Application and the UMW Application. Please apply along with an essay, application fee, or approved waiver.
- If you are requesting a review for the Honors Program, Student Transition Program, or Pre-Nursing 1+2+1 Plan, please indicate this in the Common Application and review the Admission to Special Programs details.
- If you’re requesting review under the binding Early Decision process, you must invite your counselor to sign the Early Decision Agreement before submitting your application. If you’re not able to gather signatures electronically, you may print the Early Decision Agreement and send it to UMW. This form MUST be signed by the student, parent or legal guardian, and your high school counselor and is required to complete your application.
- Submit at least one letter of recommendation. You may invite your school counselor, teacher, or school official.
Information from College Counselor/High School
- Ask your school counselor to complete and sign the Secondary School Report, included on the Common Application, and provide a copy of your official high school transcript. (Home-schooled applicants should provide documentation of their educational experiences, as well.)
- If you completed college work during high school, request that an official college transcript be sent to UMW once the coursework is graded.
- Ask your high school to send your mid-year grades to UMW so that the Admissions Committee will have your most current information.
- Request your standardized test results be sent directly to UMW (SAT CEEB 5398, ACT 4414). Notify Admissions if you’ve taken the SAT or ACT using something other than your full legal name. UMW superscores your EBRW (evidence-based reading and writing) and math scores regardless of the test date, and we will take ACT scores attached to your strongest composite score.
- Please read about our test choice policy.
- If you’re filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), please submit it by February 1, using the UMW code 003746.
Virginia In-state Tuition and Commuter Forms
- If you would like to commute as a first-year student and live more than thirty miles from campus, please complete the first-year off-campus waiver form.
- Eligibility for Virginia in-state tuition information
We can’t wait to get your first-year admission application! We’ll send you an email when we receive it and let you know if anything’s missing. Please know that it’s your responsibility to make sure your file is complete and keep copies of all application materials.