Chief of Staff and Clerk of the Board
Dr. McClurken’s research areas include the history of the Civil War, veterans, families, the Pinkertons, mental institutions, the 19th-century American South, and the digital humanities. Along with his sought-after classes in digital identity and digital history, Dr. McClurken serves as special advisor to the University’s president, providing advice and counsel on the strategic direction of the university.
In 2014, Dr. McClurken received the Teaching with Technology Outstanding Faculty Award from the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia, the highest award the state gives higher education faculty. He has taught classes in varied U.S. history topics, including Civil War and Reconstruction, American technology and culture, women’s history, and history and film. He has blogged for the Chronicle of Higher Education about teaching and technology, is the digital history projects review editor for the Journal of American History, and served as special assistant to the provost for Teaching, Technology, and Innovation.
Recognized by The Princeton Review as one of The Best 300 Professors in 2012, Dr. McClurken has appeared on Virginia Public Radio’s With Good Reason, and his class lectures have been featured on C-SPAN. His book, "Take Care of the Living: Reconstructing the Confederate Veteran Family in Virginia," was nominated for both the Library of Virginia Literary Award and the Jefferson Davis Award of the Museum of the Confederacy.
Jeff McClurken in the News
- Governor Appoints to Monroe Museum Board of RegentsOutgoing Gov. Terry McAuliffe recently announced appointments to the Board of Regents of the James Monroe Law Office Museum and Memorial Library. Among the appointments from UMW are Porter Blakemore, associate professor of history; Jeffrey W. McClurken, professor of history and special adviser to the UMW president; Rita Thompson of... Read more »
- Gubernatorial appointments for Jan. 8 (Richmond Times-Dispatch)[...] The post Gubernatorial appointments for Jan. 8 (Richmond Times-Dispatch) appeared first on EagleEye.... Read more »
- Rappahannock Regional Library, Park Service team up for lecture series on Reconstruction (The Free Lance-Star)[...] The post Rappahannock Regional Library, Park Service team up for lecture series on Reconstruction (The Free Lance-Star) appeared first on EagleEye.... Read more »
- McClurken appointed as special advisor to the president at UMW (The Free Lance-Star)[...] The post McClurken appointed as special advisor to the president at UMW (The Free Lance-Star) appeared first on EagleEye.... Read more »
- McClurken Named as Special Advisor to UMW PresidentUniversity of Mary Washington faculty member Jeffrey W. McClurken has been appointed as special advisor to the president. President Troy D. Paino made the announcement today, May 16, in an email message to the UMW community. McClurken is professor of history and American studies and also currently serves as special... Read more »