Mehdi Aminrazavi, Professor of Philosophy and Religion and Co-Director of the Leidecker Center for Asian Studies, earned a Ph.D. (1989) in philosophy of religion from Temple University, after receiving an M.A. (1981) in philosophy and a B.A. (1979) in urban planning from the University of Washington.
A native of Iran, Dr. Aminrazavi has been published in both Persian and English and translated from Persian and Arabic into English. He has received a number of awards in the United States and internationally, and is a member of the American Academy of Religion, the American Philosophical Association, and the Middle Eastern Society of America.
A member of the editorial board of the Journal of Religious Studies (Cambridge, England), he is the author and editor of numerous books and articles, among which are The Islamic Intellectual Tradition in Persia (1996), Philosophy, Religion and the Question of Intolerance (1997), Suhrawardi and the School of Illumination (1997), The Wine of Wisdom (2005), and Islamic Philosophy & Theology: An Online Textbook for Colleges (2010).
Also, he is co-editor of the five-volume set, An Anthology of Philosophy in Persia, including Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 3. In 2010, the anthology was recognized as one of the superior books in the field of humanities at the 23rd annual Tehran International Book Fair.
Mehdi Aminrazavi in the News
- Rewriting the narrative of fear (Long Island Advance.net)[...] The post Rewriting the narrative of fear (Long Island Advance.net) appeared first on EagleEye.... Read more »
- Aminrazavi Gives Talk at Islamic CollegeMehdi Aminrazavi gave a talk via webinar for students at the Islamic College of London titled "Critical Reasoning in Islamic Studies" in December 2016. The webinar recording can be accessed here: https://ysu-na.youseeu.com/external-player/1285/c78afe336970c55ded9deb735c4253e9/styled?lti-scope=d2l-resource-syncmeeting-list [...] The post Aminrazavi Gives Talk at Islamic College appeared first on EagleEye.... Read more »
- Aminrazavi Presents on Islamic Philosophy in AcademiaMehdi Aminrazavi presented a lecture titled "The Status of Islamic Philosophy in Academia in the U.S." to a group of faculty and graduate students at Iran-Mashhad University's Faculty of Literature and Humanities on Oct. 9, 2016. [...] The post Aminrazavi Presents on Islamic Philosophy in Academia appeared first on EagleEye.... Read more »
- Aminrazavi Publishes Article on Religious ToleranceMehdi Aminrazavi, professor of philosophy and religion, published the article “Religious Tolerance” in The Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Philosophy of Religion (279-287), edited by Graham Oppy and released April 2015. [...] The post Aminrazavi Publishes Article on Religious Tolerance appeared first on EagleEye.... Read more »
- Aminrazavi Co-Edits BookMehdi Aminrazavi, professor of Philosophy and Religion, recently co-edited From the School of Shiraz to the Twentieth Century, the fifth volume of An Anthology of Philosophy in Persia. The fifth and final volume of An Anthology of Philosophy in Persia deals with some seven centuries of Islamic thought stretching from the... Read more »