University of Mary Washington Libraries, in partnership with the Center for Historic Preservation and UMW Facilities Services, has been awarded a $6,250 grant by the community Duff McDuff Green Jr. Fund.
This grant will greatly assist with the preservation and digitization of the University’s architectural blueprints and drawings — particularly those related to noted Virginia architect Charles M. Robinson, whose architectural designs grace campuses and other buildings throughout the commonwealth of Virginia.
UMW has one of the largest collections of historical blueprints and drawings of Robinson’s works. The 150th anniversary of the architect’s birth is approaching in 2017, and scholars are interested in accessing and studying his drawings, according to Carolyn Parsons, special collections librarian and university archivist. The drawings are currently housed in Special Collections and University Archives and in Facilities Services. As each of the campus buildings was constructed, their blueprints remained at Mary Washington.
Among Robinson’s notable architectural works at UMW are Monroe Hall (1910-11), the President’s Residence (Marye House, 1912), Frances Willard Hall (1909-11), Virginia Hall (1914-15, 1926), Chandler Hall (1928), Seacobeck Hall (1930-31) and the bridge to Seacobeck Hall (1930).
This project provides the opportunity to preserve these historical architectural resources and make them available online to researchers while raising awareness of Charles M. Robinson and his impact on Fredericksburg’s architectural landscape, Parsons said.
The grant also will give students an opportunity to work directly with historical documents, learning how to correctly digitize large-scale historical records and add metadata and standardized file names so they can easily be accessed online.
The project is made possible by a grant from the Duff McDuff Green, Jr. Fund of The Community Foundation.
For more information, contact Parsons at 540-654-1752.