On Mary Wash Giving Day, the volume of donations over 24 hours was equivalent to the quantity typically received by the University over several months. Now that all online, mailed and phoned-in contributions made on April 13 have been tallied, the day’s official results are in: 3,453 gifts—exceeding the day’s goal of 3,000—totaling $598,326.
Ardent support from alumni, parents, faculty, staff, students and friends of the University was especially heartening this year, following the cancellation of Giving Day in 2020. The Mary Washington community paid it forward in countless ways, sponsoring challenges and matches, spreading the word as Giving Day Ambassadors and posting photos of their pets decked out in Mary Washington bandannas.
These highlights of Giving Day 2021 illustrate its vast reach, thanks to the pride and passion of the Mary Washington community:
- Contributions were made by donors in 48 states and nine countries.
- Alumni and students from 77 classes, ranging from the Class of 1945 to the Class of 2024, donated on Giving Day.
- The Class of 2020 had the most donors of any class, and the Class of 1969 had the highest dollar total.
- The Goats (alumni who graduated in even years) won the Adenan Devil-Goat Challenge. Goats made a total of 1,090 gifts to the Devils’ (odd-year alumni) 1,014.
- By sharing their referral links, 210 Giving Day Ambassadors inspired their networks to make 384 gifts totaling more than $43,000.
- First-time donors to Mary Washington made up 23 percent of Giving Day donors.
- Proving once again their commitment to the University’s mission and students, the Mary Washington community came together to exceed the day’s goal of 3,000 gifts, making 3,453 gifts totaling $598,326.
Donors’ Giving Day contributions are already making an impact across campus, strengthening the student experience, creating unique learning opportunities, and ensuring access and affordability. If you missed Giving Day but still want to support Mary Washington students, there’s still time. The University’s giving year ends June 30, and online gifts can be made at umw.edu/gift.