The numbers are officially in! Last month, the University of Mary Washington community came together on Tuesday, April 5, in celebration of the fifth annual Mary Wash Giving Day, a 24-hour fundraising extravaganza to support UMW students, faculty and programs.
Now that all online, mailed and phoned-in contributions have been counted, the day’s official results show that this year’s total broke previous Giving Day records: $670,811, from 2,882 gifts made by 2,093 supporters, including 479 first-time donors.
Generous donations were made by alumni, parents, faculty, staff, students and friends to 122 different areas across the University, including academic, arts, athletic, service, career and cultural programs. “It really highlights how broad interests are at Mary Washington,” Director of Annual Giving Shelby Orlando ’14 said. “Our supporters can give anywhere their passion lies.”
The entire UMW community helped make the day a success, sponsoring challenges and matches, using social media to inspire others to give, and posting photos of their pets donning Mary Washington bandannas. Here are some of the highlights of Mary Wash Giving Day 2022:
- Contributions were made by donors in 48 states and five countries.
- Alumni and students spanning more than 80 classes, ranging from the Class of 1941 to the Class of 2025, donated on Giving Day.
- The classes of 2019 and 2005 were tied for the most donors, while the classes of 1995, 1982 and 2014 were the top three with the most gifts.
- The Goats – alumni who graduated in even years – bested the Devils when it came to the number of donors and gifts. Goats made a total of 937 gifts, while Devils – alumni who graduated in odd years – made 816 donations.
- Young Alumni donors, who graduated in the last decade, made 324 gifts totaling more than $22,000.
- By sharing their referral links, 195 Giving Day Ambassadors inspired their networks to make 277 gifts totaling nearly $32,000.
- More than $152,000, including challenges and matches that doubled and even tripled each gift’s impact, was raised to address the University’s most pressing needs through the Fund for Mary Washington.
Gifts made on April 5 are already helping the University provide students with impactful learning opportunities. Held earlier this month, the Research and Creativity Symposium showcased some of the meaningful work that happens every day in UMW classrooms, labs, studios and performance spaces.
If you missed Giving Day, or want to support Mary Washington students even more, there’s still time. The University’s giving year ends June 30, and online gifts can be made at umw.edu/gift.