This afternoon, President Troy Paino engaged the Class of 2017 in a discussion that ultimately led to a class decision to stick with tradition and hold the undergraduate commencement ceremony outdoors on Ball Circle. Graduates and guests are encouraged to wear rain gear. Guests will also have the option to view the ceremony via livestream at various indoor viewing locations around campus.
Here’s what you need to know about the ceremony:
Ball Circle will open for guest seating at 7 a.m. Graduates should line up in their regalia starting at 8:15 a.m. at Jefferson Square. The ceremony will begin at 9 a.m. and conclude by 12 noon.
Umbrellas, ponchos and rain boots are encouraged and welcome. The UMW Bookstore located in Lee Hall will be selling umbrellas and ponchos, and will be open tomorrow from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Indoor Viewing + Livestream
Due to the forecast of rain, a livestream of the ceremony will be available on TV monitors across campus in addition to the specific viewing locations provided below. To avoid detrimental weather conditions, guests are encouraged to take advantage of these more comfortable viewing areas. The livestream can also be accessed from any electronic device through the UMW homepage.
- George Washington Hall: Dodd Auditorium
- Hurley Convergence Center: Digital Auditorium and various locations
- University Center: Colonnade Room, Living Room
- Lee Hall: Rooms 411 and 412
- Trinkle Hall: Rooms B6, B7, B36, B52, 106a, 138, 140, 204, 207, 210
- Woodard Hall: Rooms 132, 133, 135, 149, 202, 211, 249
- Monroe Hall: Rooms 110,111,112,114,115,116,210,211,212,213,233, 240,319,320,346
- Mercer Hall: Rooms 102, 103, 201
- Combs Hall: Rooms 1,2,3,4,9,25,111,112,139,213,214,215, 236,237,322,348,349
- duPont Hall: Rooms 205, 209, 211, 215
- Jepson Hall: Rooms 100, 219, 313
Breakfast + Picnic
The post-graduation picnic, scheduled for 12-2 p.m., has moved to Chandler Ballroom on the ground floor of the University Center. A limited supply of tickets may still be available. In the morning, the University Center’s Jamba Juice on the second floor will be open for sales of coffee and pastries.
Guest and graduate parking information is available at commencement parking page. A reminder that handicap parking is available in the George Washington Hall Parking lot. Please be aware that while parking is allowed in the Eagle Village parking deck, towing is enforced in the Eagle Village Hyatt and Giant parking lots. See our visitors page for campus maps and directions.
For more information, visit the UMW Commencement website or call 540-654-1087.