General Building Policies
- Helium balloons or other items that fly or float are strictly prohibited in the UC.
- Tape and/or other adhesives are not allowed on the floors, walls, or other surfaces of any space in the UC.
- Painter’s tape use is allowed only on whiteboards in meeting rooms. Other areas must be approved by the UC Leadership Team.
- No decorations, banners, or other materials are permitted to be hung from the ceiling in event spaces.
- Use of candles or open flame type decorations is strictly prohibited.
- Standing on furniture, including tables and/or chairs, is strictly prohibited.
- No animals allowed in the building except for service animals.
- Furniture cannot be moved to positions that are considered a safety hazard (i.e. blocking a fire exit or fire extinguisher).
- Furniture should not be moved from one space to the next, but remain in its current location (i.e. from a public area to a meeting space or vice versa).
- Smoking, e-cigarettes, vape pens, and other smoking paraphernalia are not allowed in the UC.
- Patrons must follow all safety guidelines as outlined by the Campus Safety Plan. Failure to do may result in fine or event cancellation.
Any organization that shows disregard for UMW facilities and equipment or fails to abide by UC guidelines may be denied further use of university space, charged additional fees, and/or be referred to the Office of Student Activities and Engagement for disciplinary action.
Individuals and groups are solely responsible for fees assessed due to damage, inappropriate room use, and cleaning fees. If damages occur, there will be a $30 cleaning fee plus the cost of repairs. Incidents may impact organizations’ ability to reserve rooms or equipment in the future.
Advertising and Publicity
There are two bulletin boards in the UC that allow for flyers to be hung. One is located on the 2nd floor on the wall by the entrance to Panera. The other is on the 3rd floor near the Colonnade Room, #315. No posters, signs, or flyers of any kind may be attached to any other areas in the UC (walls, windows, doors, stairways, elevators, etc.). Exceptions to this will be granted for emergency type notices posted by the building team.
Every flyer posted on the bulletin boards must be approved by the Office of Student Activities and Engagement. Their office is located in room 303 in the UC. Any flyers without the approval stamp will be removed immediately and discarded.
• Flyers can be up to 11”x17” in size.
• Content of flyer must comply with all UMW, Virginia, and local laws and policies.
• Flyers cannot include alcohol, drug related, pornographic, or other potential dangers.
• Fundraiser flyers must include information about the recipient of the funds.
• If the flyer is in a foreign language, an English translation is required.
• Only 1 copy of the flyer can be posted on each bulletin board
• Flyers cannot cover or obscure other flyers.
• Flyers will be removed every Sunday evening to clear the board for new flyers.
• Flyers with specific event dates or deadlines can be posted up to 1 month prior to the event date and will not be removed until the event date has passed.
• Flyers with no stamp from SAE will be removed immediately.
• Flyers which go over the size limit will be removed immediately.
• Longer periods for posting must be approved by the UC Building Leadership Team
The UC offers 8 spaces for banners to be hung in the 2nd floor atrium. These are the only locations for banners to be hung in the UC.
The UC offers blank banners for the UMW community to attach paper posters to show off their event or organization. The UC also allows organization to purchase banners to hang if it fits the correct dimensions.
Banner dimensions are: 48”H x 72”W with a 2” pocket on both the top and bottom.
To reserve banner space, please reach out to email@example.com with your request.
Kiosks are tables set in specific locations throughout the UC for organizations to garner interest. Kiosks are reserved for UMW departments and student clubs and are not for external clients.
To reserve space, please use the UC’s reservation portal to reserve a kiosk.
The UC uses five TV’s in the building to promote internal events and departmental initiatives. These TVs are limited for use by tenants of the UC and organizations using the UC for their event. To post TV flyers, please contact the UC Building Leadership Team.
For all others, we recommend using Eagle Vision as the UC does have several TVs tuned into those channels.
Emergency and Safety Policies
The UC abides by all guidelines put forth in the UMW Safety Plan and Fire Safety Policies. Failure to follow proper safety policies may result in disciplinary action against the offending organization.
In case of an emergency, please exit the building immediately by using one of the fire exit doors. Do not re-enter the building until given permission to do so by the Office of Public Safety.
Please report all emergencies to the Information Desk located on the 2nd floor. The staff at the desk will notify UMW Public Safety of the nature of the emergency and will request assistance.
Virginia winters can bring inclement weather that results in difficult vehicular and pedestrian traffic. For the Fredericksburg campus, snow and ice removal is handled by UMW’s Landscaping and Grounds Department. Due to the UC being the resident dining hall on campus, it is a high priority building for access for campus residents. This means that the building will be open during times of inclement weather unless otherwise advised by UMW announcements. During these times, building services may be limited.
However, unlike the UC building, events happening in the UC will be affected by school closures.
The following is the standard procedures for the UC when the University makes notifications regarding closures and delays related to weather.
• Early Closure
– Events will be required to end 30 minutes prior to closing
– Events happening after the closure are cancelled
• Delayed Opening
– Events happening before the scheduled opening are cancelled
– Events happening after will start normally
– Events that began before the opening but end after the opening have the option to start at the opening time
• Full Closure
– All events are cancelled
Security and Liability of Property
At times, patrons may wish to bring items into the facility for use during their program or event. It is the responsibility of the event sponsor to safeguard these items; UMW will not be responsible for any damage, loss, or condition of these items. Please do not leave items in lounges, lobby areas, conference rooms, or any other spaces unattended.
The Info Desk does not store items for patrons while they are in the UC.
It is the objective of UMW is to provide the healthiest environment possible for students, staff, and faculty members. To this end, it is the policy of the UC that (1) smoking is prohibited in all buildings, and UMW owned state vehicles, and (2) the right of the nonsmoker to protect from smoke his or her health will take precedence over an individual’s desire to smoke.
The UC abides by the UMW Campus Smoking policy.
Off-campus vendors or non-affiliated organizations may not sell, solicit, market, and/or promote without explicit agreement by UMW.
Handing out of materials and/or organized addresses to the campus community by students can only be done so at the reservable spaces managed by the UC Building Team.
Expressive activities addressing the campus community must not obstruct in way vehicular or pedestrian traffic or block ingress or egress to any facility whether outdoor or indoor. Expressive activities must not unreasonably interfere with the educational or administrative functions inside or outside of the UC.
The UC Building Team reserves the right to limit sound levels should sound in one area interfere with the operation of the building or other nearby events.