Students applying for 2019-2020 Housing will use the application found on the Housing Portal.
Rediscover Home for 2019-2020!
Welcome to the Returning Student Housing Selection Page! We are excited you are planning to live on-campus with us again next year. UMW and national data shows that students who live on campus are more likely to succeed academically and have an overall more enjoyable experience at UMW.
We have provided a wealth of information about housing selection below and within the links provided. Please read everything thoroughly and contact our office if you have questions. For students participating in specific processes, additional information will be sent via email after applications are submitted.
Please note: First year students who sign an agreement to live on campus during 2018-2019 are bound by the two-year residency requirement and may not choose to change to commuter status without being released by the Contract Review Committee. Students obligated to the second-year fulfillment who do not participate in the Housing Selection process will still be assigned a space and be held to the terms and conditions of the Housing and Dining Agreement.
Housing Selection Timeline
- Feb 1: Themed Living Communities (TLC) application open on OrgSync
- Feb 4: Housing and Dining Application opens for 2019-2020 academic year
- Feb 14: Themed Living Communities (TLC) application closes
- Mar 12: ALL Housing and Dining Applications DUE for returning 2019-2020 students
- Mar 13-14: Housing Selection for students with approved ODR Accommodations (only accommodations that affect physical placement, excludes students with ESAs, bed shakers, etc.)
- Mar 18-19: Flexible Housing and Themed Living Community Housing Selection
- March 21: Same Room Sign-Up process opens; students who have signed up to live in their same room will choose their room space on this day
- Mar 25: Roommate Pull-In process opens; students who participated in Same Room Sign-Up can pull in roommates from their roommate groups on this day
- Mar 27: Displaced students and UMW contest winners process opens; students who were displaced and notified by Residence Life and Housing as well as contest winners will select their rooms and pull in roommates on this day
- Apr 1-3: General room selection; all students will log in during their assigned time slot and select their room space as well as assign their own roommates
Options for Upperclassmen
- Manual Assignment by Residence Life and Housing – certain circumstances require the Residence Life and Housing staff to manually assign students to rooms. This includes some ODR accommodations, Flexible Housing groups, or Themed Living Communities. Our goal is to provide as many students as possible the opportunity to use the Housing Portal to select their space; if a manual assignment is needed, a member of the Residence Life and Housing team will let you know prior to the Housing Selection process.
- Same Room Sign Up – students who currently reside in an upperclass hall have the opportunity to select their same room for the following year, if available. Students will be asked during the application process if they plan to Same Room Sign-Up and will receive confirmation on the availability of their room for this process. Students whose rooms are not available for Same Room Sign-Up will be classified as “displaced” and will have their own time to go into the Housing Portal and select their room.
- Self Select a Room– students who are not part of the aforementioned groups will be assigned a room selection time to go into the Housing Portal and select a space from all available rooms. If part of a verified roommate group, the group leader will assign all group members during their selection time.
To learn more about these options, please read further on the Housing Selection Processes web page.