The website is the University’s largest and most heavily utilized marketing and communications tool. Everything we do – press releases, media relations, marketing pieces, awareness campaigns, print publications, social media, crisis communications, communicating with students about classes and campus events – all of it points back to the website. It is mission critical.
The office of Digital Communications within University Relations is responsible for providing an effective web presence for UMW.
- Showcase the vibrancy and distinctiveness of UMW.
- Manage and further develop the umw.edu content management system, WordPress. Includes troubleshooting and corrective action.
- Work closely with IT to ensure the viability of the web and its hosting platforms.
- Assist in ensuring that the University website is available 24/7/365.
- Establish a strong, clear, user supportive information architecture.
- Establish brand appropriate design and publishing guidelines.
- Provide criteria for developing quality content to ensure all UMW web pages communicate a consistent message, style, and visual identity.
- Monitor web analytics to track web site traffic and produce regular reports on general usage and special initiatives.
- Ensure visibility in search engines, both internal and external, and monitor SEO.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal accessibility requirements and established best practices.
- Train and empower content contributors in their efforts to meet departmental and institutional goals using the UMW website.
- Study other websites, attend conferences, and stay abreast of requirements, trends, and best practices.