The website is the University’s largest and most heavily utilized marketing and communications tool. Everything we do – press releases, media relations, marketing pieces, awareness campaigns, print publications, social media, crisis communications, communicating with students about classes and campus events – all of it points back to the website. It is mission critical.
See what we’re working on now.
The office of Digital Communications within University Relations is responsible for providing an effective web presence for UMW.
- Showcase the vibrancy and distinctiveness of UMW.
- Manage and further develop the umw.edu content management system, WordPress. Includes troubleshooting and corrective action.
- Work closely with IT to ensure the viability of the web and its hosting platforms.
- Assist in ensuring that the University website is available 24/7/365.
- Establish a strong, clear, user supportive information architecture.
- Establish brand appropriate design and publishing guidelines.
- Provide criteria for developing quality content to ensure all UMW web pages communicate a consistent message, style, and visual identity.
- Monitor web analytics to track web site traffic and produce regular reports on general usage and special initiatives.
- Ensure visibility in search engines, both internal and external, and monitor SEO.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal accessibility requirements and established best practices.
- Train and empower content contributors in their efforts to meet departmental and institutional goals using the UMW website.
- Study other websites, attend conferences, and stay abreast of requirements, trends, and best practices.
- Engage with the greater UMW community by spearheading a university-wide Web Advisory Council.