The University of Mary Washington believes that living on campus is an integral part of a student’s complete educational experience; therefore, all full-time students who are admitted as residential students in their first year are required to live on campus for two full academic years. Transfer students admitted in the fall as residential students are required to live on campus for two semesters, and transfer students admitted in the spring as residential students are required to live on campus for one semester.
Exceptions may be made for students who:
- are married
- are 23 years of age or older before the first day of the fall semester.
- have dependent children living with them
- are living with a parent, grandparent or guardian within 30 miles of the University of Mary Washington
In order to be approved to live off campus, prospective students must consult with admissions staff.
First-Year Student Housing Information
The First-Year On-Campus Housing and Dining Agreement will become available in the housing portal at noon on Wednesday, March 1. First-year (new “freshmen”) students will have an opportunity to rank order their preferences of residence hall in the housing application. Students will also be able to identify a preferred roommate within the application, if desired. If identifying a preferred roommate, both students within the pair should list their residence hall preferences in the same order. The vast majority of students will have a roommate during their first year.
Housing assignments are made by assigning a random number to all students who complete their housing application by May 15. The housing software will then make assignments in numeric order, taking into account residence hall preference, roommate requests, and responses to a profile question that is completed during the application process. Students who do not apply by May 15 will be placed on a rolling basis into available spaces.
There are certain circumstances which may require more individualized attention and may be manually placed at the discretion of Housing Operations staff:
- students approved for housing accommodations (efforts will be made to provide approved accommodations within preferred buildings, when possible
- students desiring LGBTQ/gender-inclusive housing
- female students desiring an all-female residence hall
Housing assignments will be sent out to UMW emails during the first two weeks of June.
Transfer Students Housing Information
Transfer students may rank their building preferences on their housing applications. All buildings (first-year communities and upper-class buildings) are included in the preference ranking options. Assignments will be made based on space availability.
Note: Transfer students with fewer than 30 credits wishing to participate in the First-Year Experience, which includes taking an FSEM course and living in a first-year community, should speak with a Student Success Coordinator in Academic and Career Services.
Steps to Secure Housing
- Accept your offer of admission by submitting your $500 enrollment deposit.
- If you will need a housing accommodation, submit your request to the Office of Disability Resources before May 1, however accommodation applications will be accepted for review at any time.
- Review anticipated Room and Board rates.
- Review dining information.
- Get acquainted with the residence halls.
- Review the Housing and Dining Services Agreement Terms and Conditions.
- Complete your Housing and Dining Services Agreement and housing application in the housing portal.
Housing Assignment Communication
First-year students will be emailed their room number, roommate information, etc. in June. Students submitting housing applications after this date will be assigned housing on a rolling basis. Note that Residence Life staff will email notices only to UMW email accounts.
Transfer students will be assigned housing on a rolling basis. Students will be emailed their room number, roommate information, etc. in June. Students submitting housing applications after mid-May will be assigned and communicated on a rolling basis. Note that Residence Life staff will send email notices only to UMW accounts.