For 13 years, the Peace Corps has ranked the University of Mary Washington among the nation’s top-producing colleges for alumni now serving as Peace Corps volunteers. UMW’s Peace Corps Prep program will prepare current students for international development fieldwork and potential Peace Corps service. To accomplish this, students will build four core competencies through interrelated coursework, hands-on experience, and professional development support.
A formal partnership between the Peace Corps and UMW that allows UMW students, who have strong interests in global citizenship, to prepare simultaneously for the Peace Corps.
Peace Corps Prep Program graduates receive a signed certificate of completion from the Peace Corps and a graduation cord. Read more about the program at www.umw.edu/careercenter/students/peace-corps-prep-program.
- Be a UMW degree-seeking student.
- Be a second-semester freshman, sophomore, or first-semester junior in good standing.
- All majors welcome.
*The forms are PDF fillable and must be opened in Adobe Acrobat. Download at https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html
- Review the Student Guide
- Review the Digital Signature Guide used to sign the application.
- Review and complete the Application.
- Review and complete the Release of Information.
- Submit the application and release of information form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Receive notification of acceptance into the program
- Students will be notified of their application status in time for registration for the following semester (2-3 weeks after the application deadline).
- Begin completing the requirements for the UMW Peace Corps Prep Certificate
- Upon acceptance into the program, each student will fill out a tentative curricular plan for completion of the program.
- Each semester, the Coordinator will conduct a workshop for all newly admitted PCPP students. The coordinator will organize gatherings of students in the PCPP, inviting students to attend on-campus or off-campus events related to PCPP topics of interest.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis as of February 1, 2018
November 14, 2017: Spring 2018 Cohort March 1, 2018: Fall 2018 Cohort
For assistance with the application process or further information, contact the UMW Peace Corps Prep at email@example.com.
Erin Dandridge, Program Assistant
Kyle Danzey, Director