Student Employment FAQ’s
Students work roughly 10 hours a week on average but cannot exceed 20 hours.
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- A completed work authorization sent to the hiring supervisor
- Complete all required documentation (I-9, State V4/ Federal W4, Direct Deposit, Student Employment Agreement form, Hire & Work Agreement, Confidentiality Agreement and Drug & Alcohol Policy
- Have a minimum 2.0 GPA
- Be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for Undergraduate, 5 for Graduate)
- Cannot work before starting initial enrollment or if you have graduated/no longer enrolled in a program
On campus positions start at Virginia minimum wage, $12.00/hour, and can go up to $15.00 depending on the nature of the job.
It depends on your job. On-campus positions are very flexible to fit with your class schedule. Most supervisors are also very understanding when you have an exam or an assignment-filled week. Of course it helps to give them as much notice in advance as possible.
Some off-campus jobs are equally as flexible, but students tend to encounter more problems with these positions.