Verification Frequently Asked Questions
- Student Aid Report (SAR) – Students receive a Student Aid Report from the Dept. of Education after submitting their FAFSA. This shows whether or not they are selected.
- Financial Aid Portal – Students can view a full list of financial aid requirements after valid FAFSA has been received by UMW. (New Students can see outstanding documents in their admissions portal.
- UMW Email– Students with unsatisfied requirements receive monthly emails from Financial Aid Office.
- FAFSA randomly chosen by Department of Education
- FAFSA has incomplete information
- FAFSA contains estimated information
- Drastic changes from one year to the next
- Multiple updates to the FAFSA
- View your requirements through the Financial Aid Portal
- Possible documentation: Verification Worksheet, tax information from the IRS, and copies of W2s or other wage statements, etc.
- Submit items via our document upload on our forms page or by fax to (540)654-1858.
HELPFUL TIP: The Financial Aid office is not able to accept copies of tax returns to satisfy tax requirements. You must order and submit a Tax Return Transcript.
- Continue to check the status through your Financial Aid Portal
- When we receive your documents, the status changes to “Received but not Reviewed.”
- When Verification is complete, your document status changes to “Received and Reviewed”.
*It is common for your Financial Aid Officer to request additional documents during this process. Please be sure to also monitor your UMW email account.
- In order for a student to receive financial aid, as well as any state or institutional need-based aid, this process must be complete.
- The verification process is a federal regulation and not optional
- This could cause delays in registering for classes, having your bill finalized and being dropped for non-payment if payment arrangements have not been made
- If you do not plan to complete this process or receive financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid office so we can update your status.