In accordance with the federal Clery Act, this notice is being sent as a timely warning from the University of Mary Washington Public Safety Department:
A sexual battery occurred today, Thursday, Nov. 16, at approximately 3:35 p.m. in the parking lot behind Simpson Library and Pollard Hall. A male wearing a black sweatshirt and blue sweat pants approached a female student and grabbed her buttocks. When she confronted the male, he told her that he was just joking, and he then ran towards direction of the Eagle’s Nest. The suspect is described as a black male, 5’6” in height, 160 lbs., short haircut with slight facial hair. No weapons were seen or are believed to be involved.
UMW police conducted an extensive search of the immediate area. If he is spotted, do not approach this individual. Remain aware of your surroundings. Immediately report any sightings or suspicious activity to 911 or to University Police at 654-1025. The UMW Police also may be reached by dialing ext. 4444 on an on-campus phone.
- Always remain aware of your surroundings
- Travel or walk in well lighted areas.
- Be a responsible bystander, lookout for your fellow Eagles.
- Never allow anyone to follow behind you when entering a residence hall.
- Download the RAVE Guardian safety application: Download Rave Guardian for iPhone or Download Rave Guardian for ANDROID