Criminal or suspicious acts and emergencies should be reported to the University Police immediately in person, by telephone, or by using one of the blue light emergency call boxes strategically located around campus.
The University of Mary Washington Police Department maintains two telephone numbers:
- Police, Fire and Rescue Emergency calls on campus: From any campus phone dial 4444. From any non-campus phone, including cell phones, dial 540-654-4444. The 4444 system is similar to 911 in other jurisdictions. If you are unable to speak, stay on the line; The Emergency Communication Operator will be able to ascertain your locations. Otherwise, follow the Emergency Communication Operator’s instructions. When dialing 911 from a University campus phone. 911 is answered by the Fredericksburg 911 Call Center, and transferring calls back to the University Police would delay an emergency response.
- Police Non-Emergency: dial 654-1025 (only the last four digits needs to be dialed from an on campus phone).
How to report an emergency on campus (police, fire or rescue):
- Dial 4444 from any on campus telephone.
- From any non-campus phone, including cell phones, dial 540-654-4444.
- Give the location of the incident, and the nature of any illness or injury.
- Describe what is happening or what you have observed.
- If reporting a crime, give a description of the suspect(s).
- If reporting a crime, give the suspect’s means and direction of travel.
- Stay on the phone and answer any questions the Emergency Communication Operator may ask.
- Stay on the phone until the Emergency Communication Operator tells you to hang up.
The UMW Police Department utilizes the RAVE Guardian safety app to receive reports of crimes. RAVE Guardian is an app that UMW students, faculty and staff may install on their cell phones.
Once activated, the app provides the user one-touch connection to UMW police or 911, displays the user’s GPS location and enables a text or digital image to be sent. The user also can set a safety timer to share with a selected group of friends or family members within his or her virtual safety network. For instance, before walking alone at night, a student could set the timer in order for the student’s trip to be monitored by GPS, Hall said. The timer will alert friends, family or emergency officials if the clock expires before the student has reached his or her destination.
To download the RAVE Guardian app, go to the Apple Store (iPhone users) or Google Play (Android users).
Virginia Relay Service
For persons who are hearing impaired or with loss of speech, communication service is provided through the Virginia Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1. This is a state mandated service and is highly recommended.
Campus Security Authority Form
If a crime is reported to you that is classified as Clery-reportable and it is not immediately reported to the UMW Police Department, please fill out the Crime Reporting form at https://www.umw.edu/police/reporting-a-crime/campus-crime-report-form/
Alternate Method of Reporting a Crime
Another method of reporting a crime on campus is by utilizing the Silent Witness System which enables students, faculty and staff to report information about crimes via the Internet anonymously. All information is kept in the strictest confidence and is only accessible to authorized University Police personnel. The link to Silent Witness is http://www.umw.edu/police/reporting-a-crime/silent-witness-form/